I have made the decision to CNC it!

Ok good, I have been watching some vids from youtube on the set up for Mach3 and I want to make sure that things are correct. I have had a small set back and still need to order a couple of things.. which hopefully will be on tues.. Just need the UC100 and some of those connectors.. also thought about going ahead and getting some of those Nema 23 covers too,.,

Any good idea of where to get some of those plastic cable tubes that will protect the wire from the environment? Don't want the square flexable kind, more thinking of the round kind. I am thinking ahead, down the line so to speak so that I will be more ready for when I go from dry milling to wet milling.

Ok Under Config, Ports and Pins, Motor Outputs

Step Pin Dir Pin

X #2 #3
Y #4 #5
Z #6 #7

And that the Step Port and Dir Port are all set to Port #1

Last edited:
Ok,

I set the E-Stop to pin #10 at this time, but didn't assign it a port yet. The computer is not up to the motors yet.. So I will have to go back later and set that up.. for now I just have it set to Port 0 and Pin 10.

that all looks correct
dont forget to reboot your pc after getting everything set up or it wont work right
and i'd leave estop that way until it is all running
you can stop mach3 by hitting the space bar or esc key at any time also
steve

Well, I will admit that the post that I make are also a benefit to me as well. It helps me reaffirm what I am thinking.. The process is slow sometimes for me.

Steve,

I missed that part that you said about rebooting the computer, though, after I had made the changes, I did reboot the program.

Doc

You guys are trouble makers. I've been following this thread for several weeks, since buying and setting up my HF X2. I've cleaned and reworked my 7x10 lathe. I've bought tooling, cutting tools, a new lathe chuck, and a LMS belt drive conversion for the X2 . . . all the while trying to resist the temptation of converting the little mill to CNC. It's your fault, this thread is breaking me down. Then I manually laid out and machined a set of 8 custom clamps to hold small parts for CMM inspection at work. While the little clamps turned out prety well and function well, it was obvious that they would have been far faster, more accurate, and easier to make with a CNC controlled mill.

To make matters worse, friends and acquaintances have learned that I have small machine shop equipment, and they want parts made. And they pay for them, happily. The original need was to just make a few parts for my experimental aircraft and other projects. See what you've done?

Seriously, thanks to all of the participants in this thread for being so clear and detailed. It may take me a year to catch up, but I will catch up. Your help is sincerely appreciated.

Tom

welcome aboard lol
i get as much fun out of making the machines as using them
i just purchased another complete set of motors controllers and power supply because it was a good deal....
I'v totally lost it, I dont have a clue what to build with them yet :nuts:
steve

Back