I have many vices, BUT.....

joebiplane

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I don't have one that will hold work on my Grizzly SX3 mill the way work should be held.
I know from reading that Kurt vices are about as good as a vice can get.
However I simply cannot afford to spend more than about $100. without getting a ton of ' Hot tongue and Cold shoulder for dinner at home ....and I don't want to deal with that
I have looks on EBay and Craig's list and$300-$400. seeems to be the price range AT BEST... and used doesn't get any cheaper
I would like a 4" to 5" vice that doesn't push up while tightening... i have a Shop Fox6" that turn and angles from grizzly and it is just not decent quality and it is not ... and it was not expensive so i understand.
But I would like to hear from members who have gotten a vice that works well at a price that I might be able to afford.
There might be something out there and a member might know about it
So i will " live in hope .....and die in dispair"
Thanks for any leads
Joe

I am not familiar with the Grizzly SX3. But I can say I got the Tormach vise with my mill and soon found that I really could not find any jaws for it, unless I made them myself. So I bought a Kurt D688 6" and now any jaws I buy I know will fit and I can use the vise on a larger machine. It is actually to big for my mill, but works nice.

probably something to think about, is can you use it later if you need to.

As you already have a mill, why don't you make one if you have access to a welder and or scrap metal, I made a couple of large vices out of scrap metal for my welding benches, but didn't have access to a mill. If you don't weld you could still make one on the mill quite easily and make a nice vice to suit your needs. The ones I made weighed in at 45Kg and 70Kg, and cost for each one was about $60-100, the cost was mainly in paint and consumables such as cutting/grinding disks, gas and MIG wire. The scrap metal was free. ## Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
joebiplane (south jersey) link=topic=3442.msg24751#msg24751 date=1315363061 said:
November X-ray link=topic=3442.msg24701#msg24701 date=1315353457 said:
I have had good success with one of these - http://www.wttool.com/index/page/pr...uct_name/Precision+Milling+Machine+Vises+(WT)

Good luck in your search.

[size=18pt]]Can you squeeze a piece of steel in it without hammering it to death and have the parallels stay put or can you still slide them out?[/b[/size]

I usually use a piece of aluminum rod on the front jaw when working on parallels and I give the piece a light bump while tightening with a rubber mallet and after tightening I cannot get the parallels to budge although at times I would prefer to remove them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back