I have to be doing something stupid

MC

Registered
Registered
I'm a total newb to milling machines but have mechanical experience, woodworking, etc. Bought a PM833T over a year ago but had a medical issue so it's just now getting setup. Got it assembled and up on the stand, checked and trammed the table pretty well. Test drilled a hole just to see how it worked etc and that seemed fine. Now I'm trying put an R8 collet in. I put the collet and a 3/8 endmill in and thread the drawbar shaft (?) down into it to pull it up into the head until it stops. Turning it on theres's a noticeable wobble. I put a dial indicator on the edge and hand move it and it's not my eyes. It's wobbling badly. What am I missing here? My assumption is that the drawbar screw pulls the collet up into the mill and compresses the taper to squeeze the collet evenly and grip the endmill and in the process centers itself. Any thoughts to what I'm doing wrong because at this point I figure I have to be doing something wrong.

1591325449270.pngmake sure the pin in the quill is lined up with the slot in the collet

Stick your finger up into the spindle id , you'll find it .

I did and could not feel anything except the end of the drawbar threads
Turn the head 90 degrees sideways so you can look into it from a comfortable position, Then use a good light to look around in the spindle. Clean it out if necessary. You will be much more likely to find the problem(s)... Edit: I don't know if you can rotate the head on that mill...

Turn the head 90 degrees sideways so you can look into it from a comfortable position, Then use a good light to look around in the spindle. Clean it out if necessary. You will be much more likely to find the problem(s)... Edit: I don't know if you can rotate the head on that mill...
A mirror and flashlight will also work.

Tom

If I'm reading this correctly , you already had a drill chuck in and " test drilled a hole " with no problem . You may need to check your collets then . You should still feel a pin up in the spindle though , unless a previous owner wiped it out .

You all were absolutely right. The pin was so far out there was no way I was getting the collet in the proper position and is far enough up there that my fingers barely reached it. Thank you very much. And I'm getting much more practice tramming the head since turning it 90 was the only way I could see well enough.

You need a bigger pin to find .........................or longer fingers ! :) Glad everything worked out for you .

Back