I have to say, this new Nova Drill press seems pretty cool

.LMS.

Lathe Noob
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just ran into this today from a Klingspoor email.

Direct drive variable speed DC motor, 50-5500 RPM (!), soft start, electronic brake, DRO, Digital speed readout, programmable, all for $1400

Watch the videos - pretty cool. The runout on the quill on some of the videos is concerning, but maybe they'll QC subsequent builds.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/ds58000/

some nice features but from what i've read quality is pretty slack. Looks more like a woodworkers tool.

The NOVA drill press is marketed to woodworkers so I am not sure why they added the tapping feature.

Looks to be a decent drill press for wood working. A long quill stroke, useful for woodworking.

I have a NOVA DVR wood lathe. The manufacturer, Teknatool, are using the DVR technology used in the wood lathe in a drill press. This makes for a compact head since the motor is integral to the head and directly drives the shaft.

The DVR technology allows for a wide speed range. The motor is quiet and smooth. The motor and controller are proprietary to Teknatool, so as long as everything works it is good, but if something breaks, it needs to go back to Teknatool.

Back