I Just Got My First CNC Machine and Have Sooo Much to Learn (Genmitsu 3018 Router)

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
I am going to have so many questions. Fortunately my son is a professional CNC programmer and machinist. He was here until 1:30 am last night to get me started and had to get up at 6 am for work today. I am so grateful to have him! He left his very powerful laptop here for me to run my machine.
My question for tonight is, can I take the memory stick out of his computer while the program is running? I don't think its using the stick to run it, but I'm not sure.
Earlier today his computer went to sleep and the router stopped in the middle of a part. I just had to change a setting on his computer.
Thanks in advance.
There will be many more questions!
I look at this as getting my feet wet before I get a real CNC machine.

Tighten everything! On mine the spindle fell straight into the table and 1/2 inch of walnut and went 34 IPM and that sounded horrible. Good for wood and okay for metal for engraving but it makes heck of a racket!

Hi Braeden, I'm cutting 3/4" Starboard right now. I have 72 pieces to cut (its a lot). I was going to do this on my Bridgeport but after making 2 pieces I ordered this from Amazon and got it the next day.
Btw, Starboard is similar to Delrin. I already ordered a 20,000 rpm motor and a dedicated power supply for it. I want to use a 1/4" 3 flute carbide endmill because each piece needs 4 6mm holes. If the router only has to plunge to make each hole this will save a lot of time. Even if the pocket takes longer to cut out.

Welcome to the CNC world. Sounds like you are off to a good start. Looking forward to pictures (the only real currency here :) )

Here is a part being cut. I made a fence for the back and right side for repeatability. I don't want to say what it is because I finally found something that there is quite a demand for and cannot be purchased anywhere.
And it is simple!
16286526484086234212735632463139.jpg
Yes, that is my kitchen table. I wanted to be comfortable while this is being set up. There is still a bit more programming to do. They will be going back on the Bridgeport for a 45* chamfer on the outside edges.

Chamfer the edges with a hand held router and carbide chamfer bit, fast and smooth.
Ha ha, I don't have a conventional router! But, I do have 2 knee mills. I have just been clamping them in a vise with a stop and running by the cutter with the power feed at full speed. I also set up the vise to open and close with a 3/8" impact gun. It's pretty quick.
Thanks!

Is there a way to make a programable air blaster to blow the chips away? A stong burst of air every 30-40 seconds would let me run this without having to vacuum the slot when it starts to get deep. Obviously not in my kitchen!

Back