I Just Got My First CNC Machine and Have Sooo Much to Learn (Genmitsu 3018 Router)

Is there a way to make a programable air blaster to blow the chips away?
you might consider just having a constant flow of air to blow away chips. My limited experience is with cutting metal on a CNC Mill and not Acetate on a router but I use a constant flow of air directed at the cutter to remove the chips quickly. At least in metal (aluminum and steel), re-cutting chips will cause all sorts of negative things like excess heat, lower accuracy, shorter tool life. Not sure if you need or even if it is advisable to also mix a coolant with the air flow like I do on the mill.

Is there a way to make a programable air blaster to blow the chips away? A stong burst of air every 30-40 seconds would let me run this without having to vacuum the slot when it starts to get deep. Obviously not in my kitchen!

Sure, but a continuous blast is better. And can also be programed to come on with the start of cutting and stop on program end.

I solved my swarf problem by upgrading the spindle motor. I replaced the 10,000rpm motor with a 20,000rpm motor. There were instructions to ramp up the spindle speed as to not overload the control board. After a few parts were run thru, the spindle would not turn off unless the power was disconnected. Something fused closed on the board.
I should have a new board today that is rated for a more powerful spindle. I'm not going to trust this by just plugging it back in.
I'm building an independent power supply to run the dc motor and it will be switched on and off via a relay controlled by the original power wires for the spindle.16290442539945687564940487932613.jpg
I'm still working at the kitchen table.

Last edited:
Well, my dc power supply's voltage is too high. It would work fine for a treadmill motor, so I'll save it for my belt grinder project. I will look around here for a powerful laptop power supply. I really don't want to run the motor off of the new controller.

I have my power supply sorted out! Here's the deal, I got my new board yesterday, that fixed my spindle control problem (it would not turn off unless I pulled the plug). I got my new dc motor controller and stopped by work to get a 24v relay for a Volvo loader. I am now running a 20v power supply to run the board and the steppers. The board has a 12v side that I believe runs everything but the spindle, so I am confident that 20v is ok there. The original hi output 24v power supply is now dedicated to run the spindle, and power is switched with the 24v relay in the positive wire before the spindle. The relay is controlled by the original spindle power wires. I have run 3 parts so far, and it is working very well.
Here is what it it looks like.
16291648959698587326721928986470.jpg
Also, I think that I mentioned that I was having a problem with swarf control and had to constantly be vacuuming while the router was running. This is what the 20,000rpm spindle and a larger 3 flute endmill did for me.
16291651193518363899882569289691.jpg
I only have to vacuum now to load a new part!
This is an entry level cnc router. I was pretty sure that it would do what I needed it to do for this job. You can only expect so much from a light machine like this (it's actually meant for engraving). We started with a 46 minute run time for each part. We got it down to 18 minutes, but bumped it back up to 22 minutes by decreasing the feed rate to prevent it from self destructing. I'm halfway way thru the 72 parts that I have to make. It seems like it will hold together so that I can get this job done.
Good little machine after a few upgrades!
16291660313113642286772032575402.jpg

Nice, makes me want to get back to my CNC project.

Only know Starboard from machine applications, never seen it in black. When you make a million dollars I hope you’ll share the product with us.

John

Nice, makes me want to get back to my CNC project.

Only know Starboard from machine applications, never seen it in black. When you make a million dollars I hope you’ll share the product with us.

John
After my my aluminum/powder coated prototypes are finished, and samples given to 3 local marinas, I will make a decision about getting a Tormach type machine.
The little router has been cranking away all night without skipping a beat.
I know it will cut the 1/2 aluminum. My son says that a coated endmill and slowing the feed way down should do the trick. And we shouldn't need and lubricant.

My x axis lead screw was wably. I thought that it was bent right out of the package. I took it out and checked it on v blocks. It was perfect! It turns out that the 2 set screws that attach it to the coupling needed to be tightened evenly.

Also the linear bearings for the x axis were developing a bit of play on the rods. I just ordered 2 kinds of replacements. Factory replacements and flanged replacements. The flanged bearings can be secured to the outside of the body and will provide a slightly wider footprint. I should have them tomorrow. I'm 2/3 of the way thru this job, and this little machine doesn't owe me anything! 1629308430671741178886793315618.jpg16293087552717856751329318706382.jpg
There is an all aluminum x/z axis upgrade available for this machine, but at this point I don't think that it is necessary. I do still have some aluminum parts to make though.

Back