I Killed It !!! ~~~~ My Bandsaw

Have you considered sending the 1X6 bars out to another job shop to rough cut them for you while you wait for a new gear?

Last edited:
If you have the space I would look for something a little more robust. Craigslist in our area currently has about 10 commercial grade metal band saws listed. Some are about the same price as the HF, while others are into the thousands.

A few years ago I was able to find this little gem for only a little more than HF is asking for their 4"x6" machine. This one has a 7"x11" capacity, and can be used in either the vertical or horizontal position. It has coolant capacity which I never use. I use bimetal blades dry and cut everything from
A2 tool steel to wooden fence posts

DSCF8066.JPG DSCF8067.JPGDSCF8068.JPG

You guys; DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use EP gear oil with bronze worm gears; it is corrosive to the bronze and when used, it corrodes the bronze, then the worm wears it off, a continuous process leading to early failure.

How does one determine what is safe to use? I used a bottle of 90w gear oil I had on the shelf. It was purchased for differentials on a truck axle and worked fine for that. Would the oil for my lathe gearbox be a better choice? Mobil DTE.

How does one determine what is safe to use? I used a bottle of 90w gear oil I had on the shelf. It was purchased for differentials on a truck axle and worked fine for that. Would the oil for my lathe gearbox be a better choice? Mobil DTE.
Truck differentials do not have any bronze gears in them. That's why it ok for car/truck differentials.

2. Gamble that the gear is the same size Grizzly saw is the same gear. They do have one in stock in Missouri and its "only " fifty bucks. Of course unless I wanted to double that price with red label shipping I wouldn't have it until next week, and there is no guarantee its the same gear. I do have more metal to cut, and I am not looking forward to spending an entire day burning up abrasive blades and breathing grit.
There's a 100% chance the Grizzly gear will fit. They all pretty much came from the same factory. May want to buy the same matching worm also, just in case there is any difference in the two.

“A2 tool steel to wooden fence posts” Fence posts ? :confused 3:
Projectnut : that looks like a nice saw , do you put wood blades on it for the posts ?

Have you considered sending the 1X6 bars out to another job shop to rough cut them for you while you wait for a new gear?

Its not a bad idea but not In Yuma, Az in the winter time. All the shops are busy with agricultural jobs. We grow a lot of winter produce here. Besides a 12' piece of 1x6 is not something I want to have to handle any more often than I have to. (My work isn't ag related, but I ship world wide so I am always busy too.)

If you have the space I would look for something a little more robust. Craigslist in our area currently has about 10 commercial grade metal band saws listed. Some are about the same price as the HF, while others are into the thousands.

A few years ago I was able to find this little gem for only a little more than HF is asking for their 4"x6" machine. This one has a 7"x11" capacity, and can be used in either the vertical or horizontal position. It has coolant capacity which I never use. I use bimetal blades dry and cut everything from
A2 tool steel to wooden fence posts

I've found a total of one metal cutting horizontal bandsaw locally for sale on CL or FB groups and it was so clapped out I'd have had to spend days rebuilding it. I do keep an eye out though. Been looking for several years. I need to step up to a bigger saw, but I don't want to settles. I want a 2 column horizontal when I get around to buying a bigger new saw. That costs. Maybe on the next big job.

Truck differentials do not have any bronze gears in them. That's why it ok for car/truck differentials.

I think sometimes people make to big of a deal about oil. The problem is everybody weights everything they say to sell their product. Sometimes they change what they say ** coughmercury** to sell their more expensive product later down the road. I makes it hard to determine the "spec" for an application, but if you look in some old machinery manuals you will find oil specs listed without all that sale hype *******t. Look in a modern John Deere manual and they will specifically list a John Deere brand different lube and sealant for every little thing. Things even the local SERVICING John Deere dealer doesn't stock.

Just get another saw and leave this one for a project. Projects are not for gating rush jobs, especially paying ones. I am having a little trouble with this right now. If $$$ is on the line, no matter how difficult, it is a good idea to suspend the hobbyist mentality for just a little while.

Last differential I stripped had bronze washers behind the gears.
Those 4 X 6 bandsaws are probably one of the biggest sellers ever. Low cost, may not be the ultimate in precision machines (ahem) but will work for years with the minimum of care. If I had to pick the best ever labour saving machine, it's right up there next to cement mixer.

Back