I lived

Glad you’re okay! Crap happens in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@mike95376

I hope my story may help someone some day.

I bet it does make people remember and rethink their plans.
I am grateful that you (and all the others) posted.

I am glad you are still with us!

-brino

I have a co-worker that inherited a Bridgeport mill after his brother died from a stroke. He was carefully unloading it into his shop with his tractor that had forks on it. He was sliding the mill onto the floor and had the forks angled down for a gravity assist. When the front of the mills base touched down it unloaded a bunch of weight off of the forks. They turned into giant springs and launched the back of the mill toward the ceiling. All of the z axis gear was damaged or destroyed, but nobody got hurt

I’ve said it a hundred times and will say it again after reading your near death experience.
I’d rather be lucky than smart or good.
You were very lucky.
FWIW worth....I’m not a cat person but my screen name is TIM9LIVES.
That’s because after my last accident which really messed me up was my wake up call. I had to be more careful. Before that even my friends were saying I had nine lives. I should have been dead in 1989...1992...& 1997.
Add a few totaled vehicle wrecks in there in which I can’t even remember the dates.....I’m now on my Ninth life.

Just to add....now I too overthink every aspect of everything I move. Even when I have help, I have no problem over-ruling them if I don’t like their suggestions. I’ll let them sit while I’m paying them by the hour just to do as I planned because it can go bad so quickly. Heavy equipment easily gets top heavy and the center of gravity can easily overwhelm 2 or 3 strong guys. Everything lifted overhead is calculated with a double safety factor. I’m amazed at all of the close calls I’ve had in my life.
Glad you’re okay. You were very lucky.

Last edited:
Those people on the Internet who say that the Egyptians moved pyramids with bottle jacks and blocks of wood have probably never done it. It is amazing how just half an inch of drop can cause a spectacular chain of events. I had a neighbor who personally saw a man get crushed when the crane wheel hit a tiny irregularity in the pavement that nobody saw. Even worse, the boss threw a tarp over the body and ordered the crane driver to keep moving. How does one avoid this kind of accident? My lathe setup is not susceptible to this problem, and I am glad now. The person who moved it told me that the bench was much heavier (and more dangerous) than the lathe. Fortunately, he had a good cherry picker, lots of straps, and a truck.

Back