I made a pair of DCMT Carbide Insert holders

shooter123456

Registered
Registered
I have been working on a chess set for my dad for Christmas and I needed a 55 degree insert holder to do the bishops. I gave him the kings, queens, rooks, and pawns already on Christmas, now I just need to finish the bishops and knights. For that, I wanted to use CNC.

Anyway, the holders are made from 1/2" aluminum plate and the measure .375x.375x2.5" once complete. I made them using my converted X2 CNC mill. The screw is a 4-40 cap screw and the insert is a DCMT070202. I used fusion 360 to model it, then it was a quick 5 operations. Rough with 3/8" end mill, finish with 1/8" end mill, center drill, through drill, tap, then flip and face off the other end. They took about 20 minutes each to do and I tested one cutting aluminum and I was pleased with its performance.

Here is the pair of insert holders.
FGxouFh.jpg

Here is a slightly closer look at one of them.
SR6CKqf.jpg

Here is the finish it left on a piece of 6061 aluminum. I didn't push it, but at .01", it was cutting fine and leaving a nice finish.
VvYIfCU.jpg

They came out nice, Shooter! Just curious why you used aluminum for the holders - wouldn't high carbon steel be better?

They came out nice, Shooter! Just curious why you used aluminum for the holders - wouldn't high carbon steel be better?

Thank you! I went with aluminum because its cheaper, easier to machine, and should be more than sufficient for the light work I made them for. If I was making one for heavy roughing or high volume use, I would have used steel for sure.

I love them! I have been making my tool holders recently too. Thanks for sharing.
Robert

I think id add the shim for the insert. Id be afraid of the insert snapping in two. But on tiny cuts you should be ok. I like the design and the insert choice.
Ive been toying with the idea of brazing inserts on tool bits with broken carbide tips.

What ever floats your boat, but I'm wondering if you were aware of the tool holders available on Banggood?

I've got around a dozen of 12mm shank types for various inserts (including DCMT) and I'm well pleased with the quality.

$5.68 total shipped seems a bargain to me. https://www.banggood.com/SDJCR1010H...r-DCMT0702-Insert-p-1082634.html?rmmds=search

If not of interest to you, maybe for others. They do take 3 or 4 weeks to arrive from China (if you're in a rush).

Umm..no...I was not. (Now you tell me)
R

I think id add the shim for the insert. Id be afraid of the insert snapping in two. But on tiny cuts you should be ok. I like the design and the insert choice.
Ive been toying with the idea of brazing inserts on tool bits with broken carbide tips.
What do you mean about the shim for the insert? There's only a small amount unsupported, I don't anticipate the insert snapping. I think the next iteration will have it sitting further in. Brazing is a little beyond my capabilities, but that does sound like an easy way to make insert tooling if you know how to do it.

What ever floats your boat, but I'm wondering if you were aware of the tool holders available on Banggood?

I've got around a dozen of 12mm shank types for various inserts (including DCMT) and I'm well pleased with the quality.

$5.68 total shipped seems a bargain to me. https://www.banggood.com/SDJCR1010H...r-DCMT0702-Insert-p-1082634.html?rmmds=search

If not of interest to you, maybe for others. They do take 3 or 4 weeks to arrive from China (if you're in a rush).

I know there are a lot of inexpensive holders out there, but I enjoy making the tools and its an excuse to use the CNC machine. I also really enjoy taking something from an idea, to a model, to machining, to seeing it being used.

the best tools are the ones you make yourself!
very nice toolholders!
don't sell yourself short, you can learn to braze toolbits in a few hours of practicing
you put the time in to program the cnc, you can braze if you have the will!

Back