I messed up on the colors!

graham-xrf

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It is not that I did not try hard. I checked out the video and all. Sherwin-Williams is worldwide, but all I could find (here) was house decorating product.

Reasoning that if both the picture to be matched and, the color chart were displayed together on the same monitor, the calibration problem gets bypassed, I went for it! Both are 1K Alkyd Synthetic. "Old" from eBay (Automotive). "New" from Construction Colours.

Captured from the video, the original "old" South Bend colors on the motor, and the "new" South Bend color on the part in his right hand.

South Bend colours- old & new.png

I don't think it went so well...

SB-9A-feet.jpg

I swear the colours (colors) originally matched up pretty good on the zoomed up RAL chart. Maybe the "new blue" is a (sort of) near match, and set against the shined up metal surfaces, might make a good-looking lathe anyway.

Whaaah! :(

Funny you should mention Sherwin-Williams . I see 100 or so of thier trucks go by my plant nightly . I'm on the very southern section of I83 and I've seen them up I81 as far as upper NY . They have a huge plant in Balto City .

Although quite different, don't look bad to me. I say roll with it. ;)

I've never used Sherwan Williams but I have taken painted parts & spray cans to Dunn-Edwards they matched them pretty damn good.

If I ever paint any machine again it'll either be Cub Cadet old yellow , I H red or John Deere green . I have cases of it left over . They have machine tool threads on their sites as well and some of those members are truly devoted . :big grin:

Although quite different, don't look bad to me. I say roll with it. ;)

I've never used Sherwan Williams but I have taken painted parts & spray cans to Dunn-Edwards they matched them pretty damn good.
Thanks for the positive note. Unfortunately, both 9C and 9A were previously painted, so no easy sample part to take to the color-matching place. Looking closer at the pictures - I am also thinking maybe semi-gloss is preferred for machine tools, instead of full gloss. It might not reflect so much on every bump and roughness.

You will never have someone say, why didn't you try to match that paint better. It will be, wow what a wonderful paint job and restoration you did.
Looks great
Cheers
Martin

Back