I Met a Skunk Today!

Never tried it before but I remember my grandmother saying tomato juice would eliminate the smell. My instinct tells me nothing will kill it completely except time. Probably about the same amount before that cat will allow you to pet it again:)

Check with your vet. They have a de-odourizer that works.
We had to use it on two dogs.
Nothing else worked.

Poor little dude. Your a good dad Jbolt:cool:.

Jay, the 3% peroxide and baking soda trick requires some liquid detergent to create a lather. The lather should remain on for 5-10 minutes then rinsed off. This combination should cut the Thiols creating the foul smell.
1 quart 3% peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp of dawn or Joy

Thank God for olfactory!
Paco

Had a dog get sprayed, tomato juice did the job, except for around 2 years every time the dog got wet the smell came back.

Paco That is the mix I had to use also, For 4 years in a row the dog got it. One of the 4 he killed it also.
Think it caused him problems as he now has tumors in his sinuses, to the point he prob will not last much longer.
I think the dawn dishwashing soap helps to cut the oils in the spray. Then then rest of the stuff works better.
If that were my cat, Welding gloves, Face shield and prob leather apron and something to protect the arms. MIne will bite if you get it close to water. Found out the hard way.

Back when I had cats, I used to push them into the bottom of the bathtub by grabbing them by the neck behind their ears. That fairly well immobilized their weaponry.

As to dogs getting sprayed by a skunk? The dog getting sprayed when you're on a camping trip. Tomato juice is what I used to us to deodorize the dogs. But our dogs were outside dogs so the process didn't have to be perfect.

The funniest encounter that I experienced happened with an Australian Shepherd. He had his den under the kitchen porch and he liked to collect things and bring them into his den. One evening, I suddenly detected the unmistakable odor of skunk. Now when you live in the country, you learn not to go charging out of the house when there is a strong smell of skunk.

I cautiously opened the door and scanned the vicinity. No wood kittys in sight. So I got a flashlight and stepped out to see if I could locate the source of the odor. It didn't take long to find it. The Aussie had a young skunk cornered in his den. The skunk was too frightened to try to push past the Aussie and the Aussie wasn't brave enough (or maybe dumb enough) to charge in after it. A Mexican standoff.

I tied the dog up some distance away but the skunk still wasn't budging. I went around the back off the house a collected the garden hose.and starting wetting down the skunk. Every time it turned its backside to me I hit it with a broadside in its little pink rear end. Eventually, it took the hunt and decided to make a run for it.

All that water helped to knock the scent down but it was several days before the atmosphere around the house was tolerable.

Poor little dude. Your a good dad Jbolt:cool:.

Jay, the 3% peroxide and baking soda trick requires some liquid detergent to create a lather. The lather should remain on for 5-10 minutes then rinsed off. This combination should cut the Thiols creating the foul smell.
1 quart 3% peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tsp of dawn or Joy

Thank God for olfactory!
Paco
Hey firestopper, that is what we did I just didnt expand my description. Worked mostly but I belive most of the lingering smell is from her ears.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back when I had cats, I used to push them into the bottom of the bathtub by grabbing them by the neck behind their ears. That fairly well immobilized their weaponry.

As to dogs getting sprayed by a skunk? The dog getting sprayed when you're on a camping trip. Tomato juice is what I used to us to deodorize the dogs. But our dogs were outside dogs so the process didn't have to be perfect.

The funniest encounter that I experienced happened with an Australian Shepherd. He had his den under the kitchen porch and he liked to collect things and bring them into his den. One evening, I suddenly detected the unmistakable odor of skunk. Now when you live in the country, you learn not to go charging out of the house when there is a strong smell of skunk.

I cautiously opened the door and scanned the vicinity. No wood kittys in sight. So I got a flashlight and stepped out to see if I could locate the source of the odor. It didn't take long to find it. The Aussie had a young skunk cornered in his den. The skunk was too frightened to try to push past the Aussie and the Aussie wasn't brave enough (or maybe dumb enough) to charge in after it. A Mexican standoff.

I tied the dog up some distance away but the skunk still wasn't budging. I went around the back off the house a collected the garden hose.and starting wetting down the skunk. Every time it turned its backside to me I hit it with a broadside in its little pink rear end. Eventually, it took the hunt and decided to make a run for it.

All that water helped to knock the scent down but it was several days before the atmosphere around the house was tolerable.
A few years back we had an expectant mother take up under or side deck. The only reason we knew she was there was our prevoius dog (rat terrier) caught wind of her and would not get off the hunt. Fortunately the access was too small for the dog. I set up a couple of halogen spot lights under the deck. 24/7 light did the trick and she moved on.

My worst experience with a skunk was heading to work one early morning when one tried to make it across the road in front of me. Hit it square with the front left tire of my truck. Poor thing got flipped up in the wheel well between the tire, knuckle joint and steering pump. Not a pretty sight and smell was so powerful I had to stop and get out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had one get in a live trap I had set out for a different critter. After much head scratching, came to the conclusion that a .22 to the head from a distance was the only reasonable answer. Mike

Several years ago my wife after washing the dishes, opened the back kitchen door and threw out the water. A couple of minutes later, we both smelled the frangance. I went out and found that by looking at the bent grass one angry skunk had gone round and round spraying. A couple years later, I was driving my Toyota van and saw a skunk running across the highway. Missed the skunk, but not the spray. It had to have been that same skunk seeking revenge.

Back