I Met a Skunk Today!

My wife uses Febreze (original trigger pump bottle) to get rid of skunk smell, says it works great.
So0mething else that might help would be GOOP, I think the musk is an oil based substance so a de-greaser like GOOP might work well to remove it.

Friends had a Golden Retriever get sprayed. They opened the door to let her back in the house and she ran through the living room wiping her face on the carpet and sofa, then ran upstairs and jumped on their bed. The house was unlivable for several days until the carpet and furniture was removed. The kids were in school and kept clothes at my sister's house so they could go to school clean. Skunk spray follows the dog so you might not realize they've been sprayed until they pass you.
My two had one cornered behind the shed and we got lucky that the skunk was young and dumb since I saw them nose to nose.

Some years ago when I lived in the suburbs of Chicago I had a chance encounter that went amazingly well. In this particular place, skunks were very common and they had grown so accustomed to people and dogs that one evening when I took my dog out for a walk(same dog as my avatar), unbeknownst to me a skunk was only a few feet from the door. The dog was curious, sauntered over and placed her nose right on the skunk's rear and sampled the aroma while the skunk, completely unfazed, looked over it's shoulder then sauntered off.

I felt quite lucky that evening.

A humorous, but entirely unrelated story from my youth:
An uncle had bought his first new car and was quite proud of it. He'd come to the farm to show my mother his pride and joy and she wanted to drive it. He didn't want to at first, but she eventually got him to agree. Not more than a mile down the road, a skunk popped out on the road and managed to spray the undercarriage of the shiny new car as the skunk made it's way out of this world.

Several years ago I had re-locate a skunk in a live trap, and I got an indirect hit( like a crop dusting). Thought my wife was gonna hurl.....so she sprayed me with Febreze. It worked good for about 5 minutes, then the smell came back. So she make me drop my clothes on the patio and take a shower with Goop orange hand cleaner. It works well because it has citrus oil in it, and it passed muster with her, but every time I drew a breath I could still smell what was still lingering in my sinuses.

Back