I might have scored!

bpimm

Active User
Registered
I stopped by our local school district's surplus sale this morning, I drove by yesterday but they wern't open but I saw a 36" stomp shear that I think would love to come home with me but alas it was headed for another school district. I wandered around looking at mostly junk but then I spotted this guy looking all lonely.
IMG_20180713_085507124_HDR.jpg
I've wondered about a surface grinder, never used one but could see how it could come in handy so I asked what the price was. I was told that they didn't price anything it was all based on offers. We talked for a while, it was still in service last year but the whole shop has been converted to CNC, this was one of the last manual machines in the shop. I told the guy I didn't want to insult him with a lowball offer and that my equipment budget was empty at the moment, He said they were there to give back to the community that supports them and asked if I lived in town which I replied that I had for 28 years and all 3 of my kids went through their schools. He commented that he wanted it to go somewhere it would get used and taken care of so I offered him $500 and he said yes. So it's now in the back of my pickup in front of the shop, I don't even know where I'm going to put it... Now that I own it I guess I need to figure out how to use it.

So did I buy a decent machine or scrap metal?

IMG_20180713_085521069_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180713_085536259_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180713_085529010.jpg
IMG_20180713_085514239_HDR.jpg

Sweet! We are looking for a quality machine with no luck in the last year!

Our school board got rid of the shop stuff 20 years ago, as their attitude was computers were the in thing. Now we need trades people and machinist etc there is nothing left to train the kids on. It is up to the industry to do all the work with no idea if the kids can or will do this work!

Looks like you got a deal.

I wish more schools would do things like that. The High School I went to a few lifetimes ago, sold off all their shop equipment at an auction. Thought I would go, even though I did not have room for anything. They sold everything in lots, all 8 gear head lathes 18 to 20 inch or so, went as a lot for $300, with all the cabinets of tooling. 8 BP mills, one lot. 10 to 12 workbenches, one lot. 10 tool boxes with hand tools, one lot. all the welding stuff, one lot. all the forge stuff, one lot. I was sick. Just about everything went for the first opening bid of $100. Almost all to one buyer.

I'd say you did real well. Looks like a good cleaning is in order. Then read the manual, and familiarize yourself with all the controls, watch a youtube video or two, and give her a go. Mike

Great deal , I'd Ck back and ask about any wheels or accessories . Never know.

Great deal , I'd Ck back and ask about any wheels or accessories . Never know.

I figured I would contact the shop teacher when school starts up in the fall, maybe they still have the documentation it came with. Who knows maybe for some pizza and beer he'd come over and go over it with me..

For now I just need to get it out of my truck. There doesn't seem to be anything on it to rig to to lift it, I might have to get the straps under the bottom to pick it up. I don't like lifting that way as much as having it hanging.

My procedure for getting heavy things in the shop are to set up the gantry outside the shop door to pick it out of the truck, I lay some 2" pipe in the gravel for the rollers to roll on, I line them up with the shop floor so it can roll in and then use rollers to move the equipment around the shop.

Problem is this grinder has feet under it and I don't know if it will work on rollers, there might be a boss where the feet go and I cant see in there until I lift it up, it's on a pallet and the feet are sinking into the pallet.

I don't know of a forklift anywhere around here to help out so I probably need to do it myself so here is what i'm thinking. My truck has a lift gate so I would lift the grinder with the gantry move the truck forward and sit the grinder down on the lift gate, strap it back down and then I could back the truck into the shop and use the cherry picker to lift it off of the lift gate and get it on the floor.

From what I've been able to find online it should weigh around 1500 Lbs so I think it's within the capabilities of the lift gate and cherry picker.

Thoughts?

Back