I might have scored!

Nice machine, you have some work to do cleaning it and adjusting but should be a useful tool. As for unloading, if you can strap it securely cherry picker is your best choice, in my experience if you lift it about 2 inches of the bed and drive out from it you minimise the chances for damage, then lower it close to the ground and pull it in your shop.

Congrats on getting a very high quality SG.

Second - the Walker mag chuck is worth more than you paid for the machine - even if it is in bad shape.

My guess is that you got in present value a 800 chuck a 1000 machine and a 200 DRO for 500 bucks. Very well done - and good on you for rescuing a great piece of equipment form the scrap heap. That's probably where is was bound because most people don't know what to do with old machines.

Nice machine, you have some work to do cleaning it and adjusting but should be a useful tool. As for unloading, if you can strap it securely cherry picker is your best choice, in my experience if you lift it about 2 inches of the bed and drive out from it you minimise the chances for damage, then lower it close to the ground and pull it in your shop.

Definitely needs some cleaning, it was in a high school... Who knows what's on it.
Unfortunately I don't have a concrete slab outside the shop so the cherry picker can't unload the truck directly. That's why the intermediate step on the lift gate, that can get it into the shop where the cherry picker can get it.

It will be top heavy and yes it should have feet or bolts out the bottom. The two Boyar Schultz we have, had threaded holes at about waist height where one would place lifting hardware into. I don’t see any in your pictures thou.

BTW FWIW you could drill and tap 4 - 1/2" holes in the sides of the machine (be careful where) and suspend it from those new bolt positions. If you use Grd 8 bolts in shear, they will suspend more than 20,000 lbs each (more than enough) If the new bolts are high enough it will lessen the tendency to tip.

Another helpful tip: the casting the spindle is attached to is usually not attached to the machine (so be careful!), but if you wrap a ratchet strap around it, you can use that as an anti-tipping strap by tying it in to the lifting straps...

Another edit: if that walker chuck is an 18", and it works then it is worth almost 1800.00 used.....

I think I found the lift points, I moved the table out and they were under it, I didn't notice them until I moved the table.
IMG_20180714_180821165.jpg
IMG_20180714_180838434.jpg
The oval holes in the casting just above the stand. I tried several slip hooks I have laying around and none of them will fit into the hole. If these are the picking holes do they use a hook similar to the t-hooks used on some tow truck beds? or could I open up the slip hook to get it to fit without compromising the strength of the hook, I'd only have to take about 1/2" off of the tip and would still have about 1" of hook left, Thinking a cutoff wheel and water, go slow and dip it often to keep it cool.

Yep they go through and a bar will work, I have some 1" but it won't go through and I have a piece of 5/8" solid 4140 I'm thinking that should be strong enough with the sling tight against the casting. Am I wrong?

Back