I Must Have Done Something...

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
RIGHT!

What a joy, only my third milling job on the lathe and it went super well. After three passes the end mill is still as new. Finish is marvelous. No chatter, squeeking, banging or any other kind of rock music. Just a low hum. I'm hooked!

IMG_1604.JPG

Great! Time to start saving up for that milling machine. Mike

+1 on getting a mill, I have a mill and use it almost as much as my lathe.

Great! Time to start saving up for that milling machine. Mike

Been shopping for a mill and studying specs for several years now. The little milling I have to do can easily be done on the lathe but I still dream about a mill. Maybe one day.

RIGHT!

What a joy, only my third milling job on the lathe and it went super well. After three passes the end mill is still as new. Finish is marvelous. No chatter, squeeking, banging or any other kind of rock music. Just a low hum. I'm hooked!

Yeah, it feels pretty good, doesn't it?

Good for you. No stopping you now. For your milling needs may I take the liberty of recommending the Clausing 8520. It's probably the most sought after Hobby Mill available.

"Billy G"

Believe me.... You think all your milling you need to do can be done on your lathe.
Wait until you bite the bullet and get a mill.... so many more doors open up.

Congrats...
Bill

More milling on the lathe but this time with a different set up. The 4x6x5/16 angle iron allows me to zero the work on all axis without using shims. The set up is very solid and uses the full travel of the cross slide. Pics tell the story better than I can.

IMG_1608.JPG IMG_1610.JPG IMG_1611.JPG

More milling on the lathe but this time with a different set up. The 4x6x5/16 angle iron allows me to zero the work on all axis without using shims. The set up is very solid and uses the full travel of the cross slide. Pics tell the story better than I can.

View attachment 124230 View attachment 124231 View attachment 124232

Ah, I see you took the same route I did when making my milling attachment for my 12 x 36 lathe. Using the compound for the Z axis. Works great don't it? I did mine 2 years ago and have since added a few refinements that I'm very happy with. The first is the addition of a 8" x 8" x 3/4" plate that has a grid of 3/8" x 16tpi holes for clamping versatility. (can be seen in my avatar at left). Next is a low profile milling vice that goes on the plate. I milled a slot in in the bottom of the plate that holds a 3/8 key stock "curb" so that the vise can sit against it and always be level. I just bought a 4 inch rotary table that tilts for milling angles. I haven't modified it for use with the table yet but I think it will complete the capability of my setup. It's fairly rigid and will cut 3/4" x .050 in steel without breaking a sweat. I have cut 3/4" x .100 in steel but it makes a hum that sounds like things are working a bit harder than I'm comfy with.

Back