I Must Have Done Something...

Beautiful! You must feel really good about your work and results.
Thanks, Mike

Beautiful! You must feel really good about your work and results.
Thanks, Mike
Yeah, I do. Building a custom rifle from scratch was always the holy grail for me. Nowadays just about anyone with a decent lathe and internet access can have satisfactory results .

Here is my revised angle iron set up.
The angle is held by three screws along the front side (facing the headstock). The other side of the angle iron is fastened to a square tube that clamps to the cross slide. The two bolts that normally hold the compound to the x-slide are not used.

Note that the angle iron was turned around. This helped solve a couple of problems. First it shifts the compound 2.5'' inches towards the x-slide which reduces the leverage on the mounting system. The mass of the set up is more centered over the x-slide. Second, it raises the vise by approx. 1'' which will allow more engagement of the compound dovetail most of the time.

IMG_1626.JPG

Last edited:
Here is my revised angle iron set up.
The angle is held by three screws along the front side (facing the headstock). The other side of the angle iron is fastened to a square tube that clamps to the cross slide. The two bolts that normally hold the compound to the x-slide are not used.

Note that the angle iron was turned around. This helped solve a couple of problems. First it shifts the compound 2.5'' inches towards the x-slide which reduces the leverage on the mounting system. The mass of the set up is more centered over the compound. Second, it raises the vise by approx. 1'' which will allow more engagement of the compound dovetail most of the time.

View attachment 124927
Looks great, Mike.

Thanks epanzella and Jon.

All dressed up with no place to go!

Got the angle iron bedded to fit the x-slide very intimately :)
That wraps up the milling attachment but there is nothing in sight for me to mill.
I might have to paint this little puppy if things stay slow.

IMG_1634.JPG IMG_1636.JPG

Back