I need a flat-belt drive mill

Dr. Hillbilly

Registered
Registered
I have a new LeBlond in my garage. In 1930 it was retrofitted with its own electric motor. Now I need a mill to keep it company. I want to drive the mill with the same overhead shaft (via flat-belt) used for the LeBlond. Let me know if there are any old mills available in the Midwest. Next I will be looking for a drill-press...

Hello @Dr. Hillbilly ,

Sorry, I have no leads for you on antique equipment.

I just stopped to say Welcome to the Hobby Machinist!

-brino

I have seen a few over the last year on FB marketplace. One was a Pratt & Whitney from about 1890 and another was somewhat more recent than that. Both had been converted to electric but everything was there to go back to line drive. I almost bought the P&W, it was less than $500 and had at least that value in tooling included. All sorts of mills, arbors and an indexing head. It sold less than a month ago finally.

The other was only $200 but had been out to pasture for a while and had no tooling.

Depending on how robust you need, I have a B.C. Ames Benchtop Mill that I no longer require, It is run off of a belt, although not from the top like you are possibly looking for. See below thread and there is a video of the mill running. I am in Northeast Indiana.. The shaper has already been sold..

Wish you were closer. I have an Avey #2 DP which is one of the classic belt-drive models. I'd love to see it go to a good line shaft shop.

jack vines

Richard,
The BC Ames looks great, and must be worth at least 10 times what you paid for it. But for now I will hold out for a larger machine. (I need to be able to face the cylinder heads and manifolds on my flathead fords). If I cannot find a larger machine and you still have this one available I will contact you...

Packard,
Washington would be quite a road trip!
Two weeks ago I found a Canedy Otto New #16. It will keep my busy for a while.

I just read your post and wondering how big of a mill you are interested in and how far would you travel to pick it up? I live in Rochester Mn. and have a vintage Hendey/Norton universal 2 horizontal mill and if you are into woodworking I also have a vintage Crescent dual arbor flat belt driven table saw---3'x4' cast iron top--I hadn't tried to sell them but maybe interested if you are still looking ---I can send pictures of the mill if where I live is close enough for you to be interested. ---Dave

Dave,
Yes, I will drive to Rochester MN for a good mill. I am not familiar with the Hendey/Norton mills and on the internet I generally find info on their lathes and shapers. Can you send links to specifications? In the photos I found it looks to be similar in size to the Cincinnati and B&S #2 machines of the era. And send photos of your machine, your price, and a list of what needs fixing.
Thanks,
Greg

I found some more info online.
The machine is a good size for me.
Just send photos and a price...

Greg--after looking at the pictures it is a no. 2 B----I sent you pictures I had and will take more this week---I think it was made in 1899 maybe---I will also look for any tooling that goes with it----Dave

Back