i need a project

bosephus

Registered
Registered
winter is here and with it short days and long nights . i would like to find a project to do to fill my time .
i do believe i would like to build a steam engine , but i have zero experience with steam and limited tooling so i think its better to rely on you fellows who might have a wee bit better input then my meager brain is providing .

here are my requirements ... no castings , its simple cash flow does not allow me the joy of buying castings .
and it must be something i can build with my lathe and a small bench top drill press .
and free plans ... that do not violate someones copyright .

there we go .. those are my only requirements pretty simple . throw some ideas at me lets see what sticks .

i have been looking at the john-tom site and a few others .... but the inability to open pdf files on my tablet makes it a tad bit difficult to make an informed choice on if i can build it without a mill

My first major project was very similar to this, but in brass.

Try googling "oscillating cylinder steam engine plans"

SteamEngine_001.jpg

my tablet went a bit wonkers and i havent been able to reply till now , but i think i like the oscillating engines , they seem simple enough .

i am going to do a bit web searching and see if i can find a basic plan that is not in pdf format and see what i need for materials and start searching the scrap yard

d

Google gingery publications they printed several books on project stirling cycle engines and some others. You could learn to make your own aluminum castings too without much investment. Fun to read if nothing else.

P.S. I reread your requirements.. The books aren't free but they were pretty cheap last I checked. Otherwise watch tubalcain's videos on oscillating steam engines on youtube. I know some he made castings for but he did one series where he used bar stock. Check him out.

Last edited:
You would probably like an engine of Elmer Verberg's design. He had over fifty different engine designs available, some very easy, some of greater difficulty, some that were minor variations on earlier models, but none that require castings. At one time he published a book with his plans in it, but after his death he wanted them to be available to everyone, at least that is the way I understand it. His plans are available for free on the john-tom website as downloadable pdf files. Here is the link: http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

ON EDIT: I completely missed the fact that you are currently unable to open pdf files. You might try using a computer at your local library to view some of the plans if you don't have one available to you.

One other thing: I have plans here for a very easy to build horizontal mill engine, designed for a beginner, that does not require a mill. Lathe, drill press, and some hand tools are all you need. It is also not a wobbler engine, it has both connecting and eccentric rods. I dare not post the plans here, though, as they originally came from another engine modeling forum and they claim copyright on them but they are free to share. They are zipped up pdf files, and the drawings are available in both metric and imperial measurements. The plans also include start to finish instructions to help you along. PM me your email address and I will send them to you if you wish, you will just need to find another computer on which to open and print them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at the page top. We have a new advertiser. J.E. Howell. These plans etc. are top shelf. I have used the small carb. on a couple of projects. They are also a member here. I highly recommend all of there products.

"Billy G"

Back