I Need Help In Jonesborough Tn

gubni

Registered
Registered
I need someone to help me align the heat on my jet 16 mill drill to the deck. It's out by about 1/8" across an 8" span. I also know almost nothing about machine work and will be glad to pay for your help.

Welcome to HM!!

I hear your frustration!
The first time I did this, it took several hours.
Looks like you have a round column mill.
Regardless of round or square column the process is the same.
Note your round column is different from my #3000 Cincinnati Vertical which . Which is different from a Bridgeport design which has a "nod" (front-back ) adjustment. The nod feature is both a strength and weakness of a Bridgey.

We need to think about the three different axis to adjust. The round column has fewer built in adjustments. Thus only leaving us with a vise adjustment left-right relative to the spindle. Eventually you may want to check out: http://homemetalshopclub.org/news/13/tramm_presentation.pdf

I hope the above wasn't overwhelming. I certainly had difficulty thinking in all three dimensions.

Do you have an indicator or gauge of some sort? Really doesn't need to be a specialty gauge. Any accurate gauge will work. However, specialty gauges might be easier to use.

There are alot of great videos on the inter-net. I'm pretty sure I've watched all the Tubalcain (Mr Pete) videos at least once, and more recently all the Suburban Tool videos (Don Bailey). There are many other good videos as well. All free of charge.

If you don't already have an indicator and the apparatus to hold it you'll need to acquire one. You'll want it for other things anyway. You don't need to spend huge dollars on these. Although you may eventually want really good ones of different design and increments. There may be members here at HM who have extra laying

Then please check out this Suburban Tool video:
You will note that Don Bailey uses an Indicol. I use a piece of round stock held in the collet.
Note that he is discussing all three dimensions. Initially, you are likely only concerned about the vise relative to the spindle, although you may eventually want to work on shims to manipulate the other planes.

Please watch the video and acquire an indicator and the necessary apparatus, then rewatch the video.
You can do this, and have fun doing so.
Please check back here, and update us on your progress or frustrations!!!
There is no stupid or bad question.
We've all been in your work boots.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
I have an indicator and I have watched several videos. My problem is that I can find no adjustments on this model. I suspect the bed is adjustable rather than the head. The bed rides on wedges which adjust slack. Trying to adjust them while maintaining level and tight seems challenging to say the least. Someone who has done it before might be able to show me something i am missing.

IMG_20160716_145518341.jpg

Lets take one plane at a time.
Wipe down the bed.
Sweep it with your hand. Do you feel any raised burrs? Anything that might mess up the readings.
If so, then lightly remove them with a stone.
Then when you have the indicator mounted in the spindle and you sweep the table map out your readings.
You can simply draw a pic.
Or I sometimes take a sharpie and draw on my table.
If you want to report them here, then we will then take you to you to the next step.
Note, the vice will need to come off.

This is really all about tolerances and trying to figure out how close you need to be for the work you do.
If tram is off, then we will talk about shimming/adjusting.
If close enough, then we will move on to adjusting the vise.
Regardless, its likely after you get some hours on her you will want to go back and tweak.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
Thank you Daryl. I don't have a good way to secure the indicator to the head.

Please post a pic of any of the apparatus you happen have to hold your indicator, and the type of indicator you have.
Do you have a collet system?
Is she an R8 spindle?
What size collets do you have?

We will get this done!!

Daryl
MN

I am having a problem with the statement that the head is out by 1/8" in 8". It is a round column mill with no provision for adjusting tip and nod. I can't imagine any mill-drill having a column out by that much. All the replies seem to assume the head is out of tram. Is it possible the OP really means the vise jaws are not parallel with the table?

I'm assuming nothing.
Tram or Vise we don't know.
And yes there are adjustments that can be made to tram a round column.
Links attached.
It's also unclear if the OP just wants to make some chips of if the OP really wants to understand how everything works.
I'm certainly no guru, and will gladly back off if I'm making this to complex.

Daryl
MN

Back