I need help picking my new VFD

I'm not doing production work but something like a VFD I would go new. However, that Radwell.com sounds good if they stand behind what they sell. The Hitachi WJ200 series is new to me but I went with it for my lathe because of all the great reviews and it's been around a good while. I've got a Teco model on my mill and while it's been good I doubt it'll last longer than the Hitachi on my lathe, even though I use the lathe more.

Mine runs hot (uncomfortable to hold for more than a few seconds) even at 1830 RPM. My cnc jobs so far have been averaging 15-30 mins but I can see them going much longer. I didn't know if people typical also upgrade the bearings and such when going the VFD route.

I'm going to guess wrong bearing grease, no grease, or way too much preload. They should not run that hot at low RPM's. I make a lot of parts that run for hours at 3500-4000 RPM and mine stabilizes at about 115°F. Might be time to send it out for a rebuild, had mine done for about $900 including the 5 bearing mod, and taper regrind.

Back