I need plans for a simple engine

TQA222

Registered
Registered
I will have a 7 x 12 mini lathe and need a turning exercise to get me started. I did some hobby work in a well equipped college workshop some 35 years ago so am not a total beginner. I was attracted by the Stuart V twin wobbler and may well have a go at one some time but it seems to require very little turning and some really complicated set up work to machine the frame square.

So I am looking for plans or preferably a kit with everything I need to build a simple engine. It needs to be mostly lathe work. It could be an IC engine or a steam engine but I am open to suggestions. I think I would prefer bar stock to castings as I have had some experience with castings that had parts that were hard, in fact extraordinarily hard.

A compressed air engine might be fairly simple, just need to figure out how you want to arrange the valving/porting
Plenty of ideas on the internet

I'm actually making this one for my grandson now. Pretty simple, but a fun project. You can also get a drawing for this as well from Toly.

Have fun!
Ted

Jan Ridders has a number of interesting engine designs. I haven't made any of his so can't say what the difficulty level is.

Jan Ridders has a number of interesting engine designs. I haven't made any of his so can't say what the difficulty level is.

His flame eater looks interesting and is not something I had seen before.

Elmer’s ‘fancy’ engine is predominatly lathe work with only a couple of bits where flats have to be milled.

Back