I need plans for copying on a lathe

DEADEYEO86

Registered
Registered
I find my self in need of chisel handles. I want to duplicate chisel handle ( in quantity and quality ) copies of the old chisel handled that I have now. Does anybody have a copy system that works for them? I could buy a complete unit. but i would like to view more options THANK YOU

How big is your metal lathe? I profiled and sharpened an old file to duplicate an antique rosette. I held a 5x5x1 1/4" block in the 4 jaw and slowly fed the tool into the face, it took 30 seconds per cut. A friend needed 30 or so for an addition on an old house.

I once ran a few thousand wooden bobbins (used for tapestry weaving) and some crank handles, on a South Bend lathe, modified with a shop built tracer attachment.
The nut was removed from the cross slide so it could move freely. A follower pin was mounted on the back of the cross slide and a long tension spring attached between front of the slide and the back of the saddle. An armature was mounted to the back of the bed that held template (cut from ⅛" flat stock) so that it would engage the pin. Thus, as the saddle was moved along the Z axis the pin would follow the template, and the slide move accordingly. Depth of cut was adjusted by the compound slide (set perpendicular to Z) and the tool was ground with a bullnose radius same diameter as the pin. The arrangement worked well. I do have pictures somewhere but that was back in the film days...

I use to make tons of bobbins for a spinning wheel company that had been out of business for a very long time. I still get people asking from time to time.
39C0B3B9-FDC4-4F2C-9495-16037FC31A7C.jpeg

All by hand. Measure and cut. I am a professional wood turner. I do a lot of repetitive architectural work. Stair balusters, columns, finals. You get really good at turning when doing repetitive work. Not the most fun but a real skill builder.

Back