I need some Electric Motor Help Please

Well, the caps came in. I installed them and when I flipped the switch the motor spun right up like a new one. Yea, it spun clockwise. I only had a few minutes to play with it, so I still have questions. I did put a mechanical tachometer on the shaft and got exactly 1800 rpm.
The wire up was:
L1-- 1 and 5
L2-- 4
2 and 3 joined
6 -- neutral

I was hoping it was it was going to be a 3450 rpm motor and someone stated that it should be one. In fact, if it were a compressor motor it should be a 3450 motor. So, I am wondering if I should look at my wiring set up?

As I stated earlier, I know nothing of its history. Judging from the metric fasteners used and the rough finish of the castings, I am guessing it is Chinese and used on something heavy duty like a compressor due to the fact that the motor and shaft are so large. The wires are @ 10 gauge. The shaft is 1.125", so I would think that it is 5 or more horsepower. I need to know about what horsepower the motor is. Of course, there is no spec plate so, I cannot calculate it. The motor is running free and at this point, I have no way of adding a load.
Is there any way to estimate the HP of the motor? I have a clamp over watt meter, but I doubt that it's drawing many amps running free.

Thanks again for all the help
Randy

Hi Randy- 1800 is it, only way to spin it faster would be to feed it 120 cycles from a VFD and it may overheat if you did that.
Sounds like it would be useful to make a RPC with it...
mark

Well, I was hoping :cool:
Luckily I have some pullies that will double the cutter speed.
Thanks All for the help.

Randy

Back