I need some help with a motor problem.

Well…..The longer cogged belt came in today. The new belt is very flexible. I put it on the drill press but no joy- the problem still existed. Would not rev up past the 1100 RPM in the high gear.

Each of the cone pulleys consist of a 5”, 4” 3” and 2” pulley. The 5” motor pulley is intended to drive the 2” spindle pulley and this is the speed that doesn’t work. I shifted the motor up and down and ran the 5” motor pulley to the 3” spindle (instead of the 2”) and it ran fine. Also ran the 4” motor pulley with the 2” spindle and it ran fine.

Following TechnicalTeds suggestion I flipped the cone pulley on the motor so the large 5” pulley was on the bottom of the shaft, closer to the motor. The pulley on the drill spindle could not be flipped – so I raised the motor and clamped it in place so the belt ran true in the pulleys. I tried it about 10 times and a few times it ran at the 1725, the other times it stayed at 1100 RPM. So having the pulley not extended out on the shaft helped some.

The bearings in the spindle are new Koyo bearings they sound fine in all the speeds – I ran them in at all three lower speeds and they produced no heat in the spindle that I could tell.

As suggested by you guys,, I believe all the frictional and levered forces in the pulley arrangement may just be too much for this particular GE motor. It is a small Delta Rockwell drill press. The manual calls for a ¼ HP but recommends a 1/3 HP for heavy work.

My objective in restoring the drill press was to do it right and make it last another 50 yrs for whoever has it. I gave up on that motor, and hesitantly repaired the starting switch in the old motor with some JB Weld and a piece of brass. It may or may not last.

I put the repaired? old motor back on the drill press and it ran full speed in high gear easily. It is also a 1/3 HP sleeved bearing motor – with the heavy cast bells on the end. Just must be stronger. I let it run for about 20 minutes and the spindle bearings sounded fine and did not get hot.

The top speed was 4300 RPM. I will probably never use the high gear and maybe never use the drill press. I have a large drill press I use in the garage/shop. The project (and enjoyment} was the restoration of an old, beautiful, piece of machinery that I can give to someone who will appreciate it. My girlfriend’s son is wanting to get into woodworking. I just hate to not be able to fix something or not understand the problem. So thank you for the help and great ideas.

Jim

Back