I purchased a Boley F1 lathe from Europe as an American. (Need Help converting 220v to 110v)

wchris040

Registered
Registered
Hello I purchased a Boley F1 lathe from Europe and would like info on how to convert from 220v to 110v and incorporating a foot pedal.

I live in the USA and have heard that the easiest route I can take is to use a VFD to control the speed and output 220v on my 110v apartment connection.

If I take the VFD route what is the best VFD for my needs? I prefer one with a digital screen and knob. What parts/equipment do I need to set up my VFD?

I live in an apartment in California

I have attached a wiring diagram and motor plate spec for the Boley F1 motor below:

Boley f1 power 1.png

Attachments

• Boley f1 power 2.png
    Boley f1 power 2.png
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • Boley F1 Motor Spec.png
    Boley F1 Motor Spec.png
    488.6 KB · Views: 28

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
something like this would suffice

the vfd hooks directly to the motor without anything like switches or relays inline
since you only need 60watts at 220v 3 phase, the above cited vfd @750 watts would be more than sufficient

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
That's a 220 volt only permanent split cap motor, it can't be run on 110 directly. The best approach would be to use a step up transformer for fixed speed, it will run slightly faster on 60 HZ
It's possible you could use a VFD on it also but I would check that the windings are all equal resistances first, in other words make sure it can be treated like a true 3-phase motor
-Mark

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
European equipment routinely use these types of motors with or without capacitance
when 3phase is available the motors are often run without capacitance

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
Thanks Mike, I was wondering about that. I'm wondering also if even the smallest VFD would be too big, and might shut itself down with such a small motor load? Maybe not
-M

Last edited:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
I haven’t had issues putting a small motor on a larger vfd, the inverse doesn’t work well

talvare

Ted A
H-M Supporter Gold Member
O.K. Mike, I need some education. I've never worked with a motor like that. Appears to be single phase input running a three phase motor. What are they doing to get that third leg. I see a couple of capacitors, possibly accomplishing some phase angle shift ?

Ted

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
That's exactly what they do, it's the same principle as a static phase converter. If you look closely you will see the two caps are in parallel, so it's just a single 6 uF cap in essence that gives a phase shift from one power leg to the third leg
-Mark
There are variations, some have a start cap and a smaller run cap, the start cap has a centrifugal cut-out switch

Last edited:

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
H-M Platinum Supporter
O.K. Mike, I need some education. I've never worked with a motor like that. Appears to be single phase input running a three phase motor. What are they doing to get that third leg. I see a couple of capacitors, possibly accomplishing some phase angle shift ?

Ted
to add to Mark's explanation, i service a brand of vacuum packaging equipment that uses European vacuum pump/single phase
motor combination.
the motor is 3 phase .75Kw
the input is 220v single phase
the motor's V phase is essentially a 110Uf capacitor across the terminals when wired in the WYE configuration
these motors can be wired Delta too

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock