I purchased an antique lathe. Now what?

Neat old lathe, you have some work in front of you, but it doesn't look too bad considering it is probably at least 100 years old.

That is why everything worked back then, Darwin took care of things.

I saw a quote somewhere that said "I'm not saying to kill stupid people. I'm just saying get rid of the warning labels and nature will take care of the rest."

That does look like a weld on the motor bracket, and it does lean forward now but it needs to be tightened up. I haven't made it that far in the cleaning and fixing process yet, I started with the bed and tailstock. Working my way up to the hard parts! I think that this lathe had a fall at some point or was hit by something, a bunch of the levers and handels had been welded back on so I wouldn't be surprised if the motor bracket was also welded.

The missing knob on the apron is likely the same part as the one next to it, you should be able to make one.
That's what I was thinking, but the existing knob swings a gear in and out for power cross feet , the missing one is some type of push pull and has a threaded part that spins even though it's not engaged. I just pulled the saddle off this evening so hopefully I will have some time this week to take a better look at how it works. Unfortunately I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.

I have one similar, model A lot 660 machine #2. Mine has the legs as all one piece, they do not come off. Not sure of my year?

Looks like a definite repair on the main motor support. I think I would be inclined to make a wedge to go between the lathe bed and the motor support to angle the whole motor assembly toward the rear of the machine, getting that belt out of harms way. You would nee some longer bolts on the top holes, and angle mill some flats for the bolts to seat at the appropriate angle. You could just do a belt guard, but I think the wedge would be a more elegant solution. Mike

I'm a big fan of the Monarch lathes, although my oldest is a '44 CK. I have to agree with @FOMOGO, shimming the motor mount to move it back to be closer to vertically over the headstock would be tempting. It may intentionally lean forward just to keep the center of gravity between the legs, so shimming it may require some additional support?

I BOUGHT A 4 WAY REX STYLE tool holder. i don't need to change tools often, and these ancient beasts cant swing fast enough to run carbide tools anyway. So, some HSS bits and a diamond wheel is about all your ever going to need. FWIW there are so many lantern style holders in this world, you could buy 40 of them for the price of a couple aloris bit holders, and still not have the tool post

Back