I really want a beginner scraping project!!!

spaceman_spiff

Active User
Registered
Please advise on what would be a good beginner scraping project.

Heres what I currently have at my disposal that I think is especially relevant:

6" square granite surface plate of unknown accuracy
0.0001" Mitutoyo dial test indicator
Half empty tube of prussian blue from Autozone
the "Reconditioning of Machinery" pdf
An Atlas 10F with a few thousandths of wear on its ways

And the usual assortment of machine shop stuff including a CNC mill

Heres some scraping project ideas I have:

-Scrape the lathe ways (probably the last project..not the first)
-Buy a rough cast iron straight edge on flee-bay and scrape it so it can be used to scrape the lathe
-Buy some cheap-o 1-2-3 blocks and scrape them flatter
-Buy some other kind of cheap-o tool and turn it into a high quality tool via scraping

What should I try first? Is there anything I might have in a typical machine shop that I could spot on the granite surface plate and see what kind of surface it currently has to learn something interesting?

How about the top surface of your compound's t-slot? The surface that your toolpost sets on. After a million miles of use, mine wasn't flat. Yours may not be flat either...

Please advise on what would be a good beginner scraping project.

Heres what I currently have at my disposal that I think is especially relevant:

6" square granite surface plate of unknown accuracy
0.0001" Mitutoyo dial test indicator
Half empty tube of prussian blue from Autozone
the "Reconditioning of Machinery" pdf
An Atlas 10F with a few thousandths of wear on its ways

And the usual assortment of machine shop stuff including a CNC mill

-Buy a rough cast iron straight edge on flee-bay and scrape it so it can be used to scrape the lathe
-Buy some other kind of cheap-o tool and turn it into a high quality tool via scraping

What should I try first? Is there anything I might have in a typical machine shop that I could spot on the granite surface plate and see what kind of surface it currently has to learn something interesting?

Get a 24" camelback straight edge, its one of the tools you need to check everything else once you get it scraped in. I have several pieces of cast iron block that I bought to make into straight edges...I have a large enough granite surface plate to do this with though. Will you hand scrape? I want a biax so bad but funds wont allow it yet....Tim

What should I try first?

IMHO, i'd do the 1-2-3 blocks first.
they are cheap, they are readily available and easy to work with.
you'll get an almost instant sense of accomplishment that will give you confidence to try something larger and so on.

if you want a simple but satisfying project.
make your own hand scraper from an 18" piece of 1"x1/4"thick CRS flat bar, a handle, and a simply brazed or silver soldered carbide toolpoint.
you will of course need a carbide capable or diamond wheel for the grinding mechanism to dress the carbide tip.
an old file can also be ground down to the correct shape for performing scraping operations as well, you'll just be resharpening the cutting edge a lot more than using a carbide toolpoint

I would caution you to either make what ever you learn on or spend very little money. Reall suck to ruin a 500 dollar rough cast straight edge.

I bought my rough casting camelback for $75 plus shipping, I have not finished it yet but its pretty close. Tim

How big is it? You got a link to who you got it from? 75 is a solid price to learn on no doubt.

Do a search on this website for Greg Dermer, I posted the contact information for both of the people that make them. I would have to do some digging to find the info again...tim

oh, it was an 18" camelback, not 24...

I will add to your list a pair of cast iron angle plates. You may actually need to do three as a set. You can get ground plates for a modest price, and make them much better.

Back