I seemed to have magnetized the table on my Atlas MFC mill...........

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well, I somehow have magnetized the table on my Atlas MFC mill. I now need to figure out how to demagnetize it. I did a search on all the forums, and I see lots of posts for demagnetizing tools, but either I am having a brain cramp or I am just not coming up with a good way to demagnetize the table.

I do have a magnet charger for magneto magnets. Was considering tuning that upside down on the table and giving it a short burst.

thoughts?
Suggestions?

An electro magnet/deguasser will do the job. Turn it on and move it around the table and slowly move away before turning it off. If it is turned off while close to the table or any other steel object it will leave it still magnetic, moving it away first does the job. Take off your watch first!

Thanks Pierre, I'll have to see if I can get a deguasser. My magnet charger when energized has a 200 lb pull on it. I don't think I'll be able to budge it when it is energized.

Hi Tom, what you need is one of those old-time degaussing coils they used for CRT color tv sets- or you could wind your own but you need a lot of magnet wire- several hundred feet I think
Mark
ps maybe you could salvage the coil from an old set- they all had one built-in

Thanks Mark, I'll check around. I did find a Hozan HC-21 demagnetizer on epay for around $50 new. I also found a used one for about $20. Might not be a bad investment.

UD, I think I did it with my brand new swarf wand.............if that is how that puppy is going to behave, then I guess I should invest in the Hozan. :oops:

I have an old Nortronics cassette/reel-to-reel bulk eraser which is a tape demagnetizer from the early 80's. Back then it was intended to be able to remove all of the old content before re-recording some new content. I do not know if it is powerful enough for the milling table. I have a small piece of steel which was slightly magnetic. I just tried it and was surprised how much force it generated to attract the piece of steel. I just held it to the steel for a short time and now this is not magnetic.

The unit says duty cycle is 1min on and 5 min off.

I am happy to let you borrow this to try. Just PM me with an address.

Not quite big enough for the Atlas table, but relavent none the less. On my electronics bench are a number of tools that seem to "grow" magnetism at the most inopportune time. I keep a large soldering gun handy to correct this. A Weller D-550(350w), even an 8200(140w) has a single turn coil as the secondary to a transformer. As the AC is backed away from the tool, the field is weakened. Actually, I use a half KVA Variac, but that isn't common in most metal working shops. Placing the tool between the prongs but behind the tip and pulling it away handles this. I tried to use a link to the PDF, but the website won't allow this now. Look at http://www.hudsontelcom.com/ and then look to the bottom of the page for [Home Shop Electrics]. The PDF is some 50 pages long so should be obvious why I don't plug it in here.

The salient point is the AC field generated by a Weller soldering iron. If you were to use a magnetizer backward it would do what magnetizers are supposed to do, but backward. Do not use this. Magnetizers often are line powered with an internal rectifier to produce the DC needed.

A low power demagnetizer, such as found on a TV(CRT), will work, just not very quickly. It might take hours to complete the cycle. I would highly recommend something to taper the voltage applied over time. A variable transformer, Variac, would be the simplest. But require your attention for a long term usage. A tape demag device is better, but still maybe not enough. But consider how it is supposed to be used......

I have an Atlas MF-C, the table is rather heavy though small. I thank God mine has never gotten magnetized. In any event, you want a tapering AC feed, not a DC. Iron is the basic component in steel, 95+%. Any magnet will contain iron to some extent.(except AlNiCo) The AC feed will swap the magnetizing field 100-120 times a second. 120 in the States..... As this is tapered toward zero, so also is the magnetism of the table.

Heat and/or Shock will demag the table. But either is no-no on a precision milled table. And you might consider what caused the magnetism to start with. Either will also cause magnetism. As will an unshielded DC motor.....

Hope I helped your thought processes a little;

Last edited:
An afterthought:
Wrapping several turns of fairly heavy wire (AWG 10 or so) in series with an electric iron (as a ballast) should create enough AC field for the Atlas. The only point then would be to taper the strength (current) of the field before finishing. A Variac would be the optimum, a heavy resistor increasing over time should work almost as well.

Back