I stumbled on a deal

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
An agro company closed it's shop, and I was able to get a Miller Syncrwave 250 DX. It was only used as a stick welder, and had very low hrs. I got it for well under 1K, then added a Cool Mate 3, and have it wired for 100 amps. There is a plug in, and a fused breaker box, I could not pull 200 amp service due to underground conduit being too small by ordnance. I do not have anything planned for the higher amperage, but it's there.
Now the interesting part is I have never TIGed in my life, but I wish to learn. I'm in the pool, now it's sink, or swim.

Well you've got yourself a very nice machine that will cover just about anything. I recommend watching a lot of videos and listen to what their using and doing. I use 2% lanthenated I weld stainless aluminum and steels. 3/32 tungsten also gives you a good wide range. 100% argon tank you won't need to use helium with what your gonna use for. Which helium gives you a hotter puddle at the same setting. A lot to learn be patient and steady hands!

Good luck with your new welder. That was a great deal is the torch water cooled if not it won't be that hard for you to do.

Thank you, it is water cooled. Air gas has their welding show this weekend I'll pick up some rods etc. I also have a brand new bench grinder I can use for the tungsten too.

Looking forward to trying it out, I have been checking out youtube, and tip&tricks. I do have a 3M auto dark helmet. Working on the Chevelle has me busy, besides work.

Nice score. It’s nice to be in the right place at the right time.
You get the “YOU SUCK” award too!

Nice score. It’s nice to be in the right place at the right time.
You get the “YOU SUCK” award too!
yes you do.
That's awesome. So jealous, I have a project that my welder burns through too easily with. That would be great to dial down. I don't think you will find TIG difficult, there are so many videos. WeldMonger being a great source. I think the difficulty comes with Aluminum. So go steel, then learn AL.

Back