I tested the HF Lifetime Warranty claim for hand tools

HiltzVW

Registered
Registered
I had a broken Pittsburgh Pro 1/2 drive breaker bar and so I figured it would be interesting to test the return policy without a receipt or any proof of purchase.

What I found was HF has a really easy way to get a warranty replacement, just like at Sears way back when I used to be able to walk in with any Craftsman hand tool and walk out with another one.

This really impressed me about HF.... I did an undercover video on my YouTube channel if anyone wants to see how easy it was.

Yep, dedicated tool store that stands behind their stuff.

Love 'em or hate 'em they've filled the niche that Sears used to serve. Try that with a Craftsman wrench at a KMart store today....

JOhn

What did you do to break your breaker bar? I have three or four of the HF bars in medium to large sizes and abused them for years. Okay, I do have a proper USA 3/4 drive 1000 mm bar if needed... but I have used the Proto cheater pipe (an actual tool) on my HF breaker bars many times. My HF breaker bars survived two deployments and years of active duty on Bradley Fighting Vehicles and M88s turning bolts 15/16 and up without issue. The way I see it, the breaker bar and their dead blow hammers are the only tools worth buying at HF, and now you're ruining that for me! What will I be able to buy at HF now without feeling that sinking feeling in my stomach that there's nothing left in the store that I would actually want to own?

Did they pay the doctor bill for the twelve stitches in your hand when the bar broke?
Just thinking ahead.
No, seriously, that is a great experience. I'm impressed.

....... What I found was HF has a really easy way to get a warranty replacement, just like at Sears way back when I used to be able to walk in with any Craftsman hand tool and walk out with another one.........
Glad to hear that about HF. I didn't know that.

......Try that with a Craftsman wrench at a KMart store today....

JOhn
A friend of mine recently took his broken ratchet handle from a Craftsman socket set to a local ACE Hardware and they replaced it for free. I didn't know that, either, until he told me. I guess I need to get out more. Or break more tools.

Tom

Glad to hear that about HF. I didn't know that.

A friend of mine recently took his broken ratchet handle from a Craftsman socket set to a local ACE Hardware and they replaced it for free. I didn't know that, either, until he told me. I guess I need to get out more. Or break more tools.

Tom
Hey,
Lowes sells Craftsman. Anybody tried this with Lowes?
I think it\s a great that a big box store took on Craftsman. They still make good hand tools right?

Hey,
Lowes sells Craftsman. Anybody tried this with Lowes?
I think it\s a great that a big box store took on Craftsman. They still make good hand tools right?

I've never tried that with Lowes & Craftsman, I don't own any SB&D Craftsman. But I have got warranty replacement with Kobalt stuff & Husky at HD with no issues. Well only issue is if they have stock to replace it. Husky not so much, it's the Kobalt stuff that is usually out of stock.

SB&D's Craftsman good? I have no idea, much of it is still made in China (hear they are trying to change that) & the tools are very similar to SB&D's other lines. They sure are going all out on the brand though & so is Lowes. Tool section used to always look blue at Lowes from a distance, now it's all red.

Had a HF 18 guage brad and staple air nailer go bad Friday. Had it a couple of years. Took it to HF Saturday to see what they would do. Did not buy extended warranty when I bought it. Didn't have a receipt either. Told me if I buy a 2 year warranty for $12 and change they would replace it. Said the 2 year warranty is on top of regular 90 day warranty so I get a new brad nailer and a 27 month warranty for less than $13. Ok with me!

Did they pay the doctor bill for the twelve stitches in your hand when the bar broke?

Reminds me of why I lost respect for Craftsman tools a long time ago. Last tool I bought of theirs was a lineman's pliers, back in the early 90's. It broke only a couple of years later while cutting through some BX cable, jaw snapped off and hit me in my lower lip, requiring stitches. Took it back and they gave me a hard time saying it had been discontinued so no replacement was available, finally a manager gave me a credit, with was better as I didn't want the piece of crap anyway. Bought a pair of Klein's, had em ever since...

Back