I think I have a burned out relay

Eremius

Registered
Registered
I am duplicating this post as I believe this is the proper place for it rather than the original post.

Unfortunately I have run into an issue with the controls. When the start button is pushed the motor will start, run for a few seconds and turn back off. This running period has been getting shorter and shorter.

It is a momentary button push start system with the start button being NO and the stop button being NC.

I *believe* the cause may be a failing relay (M relay on the diagram)

imc7e_52-1.jpg

but I have no idea where this little gem is located.

The control circuit is 120v and the power is 220v 3ph.

PXL_20210705_183834309.jpg

PXL_20210705_183233815.NIGHT.jpg

I know the orange wires go to the start/stop switches. The red/white/black are line 1,2,3.

I am willing and able to provide any additional information as requested.

I am also willing to replace for newer components. This isn't a resto.

It looks like you have a 4 pole contactor with the far right pole (lowest picture) most likely being the "M" contact (blue wires).

The coil is probably going open circuit as it heats- OR one of the other connections is flaky and doing the same. I would first go around and clean/tighten as many of the screw connections as possible and replace any crimps that look iffy- with power off of course
Use an ac voltmeter and check for voltage at the coil when it fails- that would tell you everything. If the voltage is steady then the coil is failing- if not then it's something other than the coil- like the transformer or connections to
-Mark
ps looking closer I do see something funny on the coil like a overheated area or fishpaper coming loose- check that out.

Last edited:
The coil is probably going open circuit as it heats- OR one of the other connections is flaky and doing the same. I would first go around and clean/tighten as many of the screw connections as possible and replace any crimps that look iffy- with power off of course
Use an ac voltmeter and check for voltage at the coil when it fails- that would tell you everything. If the voltage is steady then the coil is failing- if not then it's something other than the coil- like the transformer or connections to
-Mark
ps looking closer I do see something funny on the coil like a overheated area or fishpaper coming loose- check that out.
That was my thought as well but I have taken this out, hooked 110 directly to the coil and it locks up.

I greatly appreciate the brainstorming!

-Mark
I put my meter on it hit the start button and it started up. The voltage to the coil was jumping all over the place and the coil was dropping out/coming on quickly for a few seconds (15-30 ish) then the voltage straightened up at 127v and no more coil chatter.

Next stop, metering out the transformer?

Where were your meter leads?
You can put meter leads in many places and achieve many readings.
Looking at this picture I am reminded that there is a color code for wiring for a reason.
If the coil is not maintained when releasing the PB then it's the latch circuit. Poor connections are usually the cause of chattering.

Where were your meter leads?
You can put meter leads in many places and achieve many readings.
Looking at this picture I am reminded that there is a color code for wiring for a reason.
If the coil is not maintained when releasing the PB then it's the latch circuit. Poor connections are usually the cause of chattering.
1626821227117.png

Back