I think my Rong Fu mill's original motor is about to die?

Just remove the cap cover (looks like 2x C battery cover, 2 screws) and order matching capacitors from your supplier of choice.

Stoic.... here’s a good video on motor capacitors... and induction motors.

Jeremy Fieding has very good videos on electricity and motors. He does a good job of explaining theory and design.
Induction motors and capacitors

+1 on replacement with 3 phase and VFD. You'll be glad you did.

Stoic.... here’s a good video on motor capacitors... and induction motors.

Jeremy Fieding has very good videos on electricity and motors. He does a good job of explaining theory and design.
Induction motors and capacitors
Thanks so much Tim. I recall seeing Jeremy's videos before but that was a few years ago but thanks to your link I just subscribed to his channel. Easy to follow guy with a very down to earth tone.

+1 on replacement with 3 phase and VFD. You'll be glad you did.

Yes, that will be the ultimate setup. However, I also keep thinking that it's my first mill I bought used 2yrs ago (it's about 25yo but well taken care of). I converted it to CNC as cheaply as possible and so far it's been a decent mill for me. However, before I put more money into it may be I should instead save up for a 'better' mill. If I had the room I'd get a CNC mill and convert this one back to manual mill (with DRO) and keep it. Or maybe save the better mill idea for when I retire and have a bigger shop etc and for now just do the VFD conversion. OK I'm just rambling now.

Thanks so much Tim. I recall seeing Jeremy's videos before but that was a few years ago but thanks to your link I just subscribed to his channel. Easy to follow guy with a very down to earth tone.

Yes, that will be the ultimate setup. However, I also keep thinking that it's my first mill I bought used 2yrs ago (it's about 25yo but well taken care of). I converted it to CNC as cheaply as possible and so far it's been a decent mill for me. However, before I put more money into it may be I should instead save up for a 'better' mill. If I had the room I'd get a CNC mill and convert this one back to manual mill (with DRO) and keep it. Or maybe save the better mill idea for when I retire and have a bigger shop etc and for now just do the VFD conversion. OK I'm just rambling now.

I'm building a CNC from parts I bought so I can appreciate converting it "as cheap as possible". Either way you will be miles ahead with the VFD setup. Cheap Chinese VFD's can be had for $60 and used three phase motors in that size are pretty common. I converted my lathe with a good Teco VFD and Baldor motor for less than $300 and it made a world of difference. The ability to dial in the right speed is great and if you're into CNC you could even add spindle control.

Unless you already have a replacement motor you're almost all the way there just buying a decent single phase motor alone. If you sell the machine it should add value (variable speed), and if you keep it you'll be grateful for not having to mess with belts nearly as much.

John

I'm building a CNC from parts I bought so I can appreciate converting it "as cheap as possible". Either way you will be miles ahead with the VFD setup. Cheap Chinese VFD's can be had for $60 and used three phase motors in that size are pretty common. I converted my lathe with a good Teco VFD and Baldor motor for less than $300 and it made a world of difference. The ability to dial in the right speed is great and if you're into CNC you could even add spindle control.

Unless you already have a replacement motor you're almost all the way there just buying a decent single phase motor alone. If you sell the machine it should add value (variable speed), and if you keep it you'll be grateful for not having to mess with belts nearly as much.

John
Agreed 100% - what mill are you converting btw?

The VFDs are so cheap these days it's silly...I'll check the NEMA frame no and see how much the bolt-on 3 phase motors are. Then it'll also be moving the single 220V dryer outlet to where the mill is...more projects! :faint:

Here's my machine, built from parts & pieces not a conversion.

So there is no NEMA frame size listed on the motor anywhere but here are the rough dimensions. I won't know the length of the shaft without removing the pulley but it's definitely longer than 1". I found an article about someone converting a RF30 and he said he replaced his with a NEMA 145T but the article also said he replaced the motor mount.

Regardless comparing the rough dimensions I took and the specs for 145T, they're very close so a 145T motor should bolt right up. I found this one for not a bad price https://www.surpluscenter.com/Elect...P-3500-RPM-230-460-3Ph-TEFC-Motor-10-2899.axd

Thoughts?

1570681792454.png

Back