I want a horizontal mill

I have two benchtop mills and seriously considering parting with the one. I found an Atlas shortly after finishing this one.

I will be completely upfront and tell you that it has some runout and I'm just losing interest in dealing with resolving it. Plus, my Atlas came with a vertical head so that is more reason that I'm losing interest.

Here is the forum thread build with videos when I cleaned it up.

I built the Gingery mill. It is more capable than it looks. I bored a tractor bell housing for a clutch shaft on it. The bell housing looked as big as the mill. I did have to take light cuts but it got the job done. Then I found a horizontal mill with vertical head (DuFour) on ebay for the materials cost to build the Gingery mill. I ran across an Atlas for even less money. The Gingery is the least capable of the three. If the building is what interests you, go for it. If you want a mill, you can find them..... eventually, and most likely more capable.

That little red mill looks kinda neat. I am sure someone would like it to play with.

Hi thunder dog! I love your videos. I was the one asking you the other day if you ever found anything out about that mill. You should PM me.
- Jonathon Wood

I see lathes and mills in our local junkyard a few times each year.

I am in Annapolis and have a a Pratt and Whitney 3C bench mill I am working on, so I like the small horizontals. Check out Facebook Marketplace and search for milling machine. There is an Enco for $500. There is also a Heald that looks interesting. The Heald uses #9 B&S taper. Both have some tooling.

Last edited:
for the cost of materials and the expense of time to build 1 machine,
you could buy 2 used ones and spend your time machining instead of building

Back