I want to buy my last pair of safety glasses

digiex_chris

Active User
Registered
I'm tired of these plastic safety glasses getting fogged and scratched over time. A while ago I had a normal pair of glasses with glass lenses, and could let them rattle all over the dash of the truck without a scratch, and could always clean them. I've seen glass lensed safety glasses a long time ago. Do they still make such things? How's the impact ratings?

You can still get glass safety glasses for laser safety. They meet ANSI Z87 (basic impact), it looks like all of the High Impact lenses are plastic (polycarbonate)

Check McMaster and Grainger.

I ware normal glasses (in addition to safeties when required) i have issues with some fluids degrading the coatings, ive never come across a handy table of what chemicals are bad for the plastics and coatings.

i have had some success with glass polishing goo for car glass in making the safety googles more transparent when they have got light scratches.

stuart

Hmm I keep thinking I would prefer high impact. I guess poly it is then. I'll try the glass polish.

Hmm I keep thinking I would prefer high impact. I guess poly it is then. I'll try the glass polish.

I have just remembered seeing a video on u tube about polishing scratches out of acrylic watch glass, they did the thing of sanding the surface with 2000 grit and buffing with a compound like wet sanding paint.

some googeling i think, sorry i cant remember the name of it.

stuart

Unless they are prescription, you will spend more money and time on polish than simply buying another pair of polycarbonate.

Consult your eye care professional. I am sure he can grind some impact resistant lens for you even if you do not need a prescription. The guy I use loves doing oddball projects. He spends a lot of time with me to make special shooting glasses. Last set of prescription lens he made for my frames were $35. That was made for one eye only to focus clearly on the front sight 31" away.

There is a thread a little ways down the list called "Magnifying Safety Glasses". Here is a link: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=23662

I found bi-focal safety glasses in my prescription on Amazon, and they are so comfortable and clear that all my old safety glasses are now in a box on the shelf. Use the cheap microfiber towels from Harbor Freight to clean them. These are clearer and easier to see through than my real prescription glasses. Here are the ones I got for $6.58:

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-C2-11...20277&sr=8-2&keywords=bi-focal+safety+glasses

They are available in a number of magnification levels. I bought four different styles and one pair with higher magnification for welding and really small parts or reading very fine print.

Hope this helps,

GG

I thought exactly as you did. I get one pair of insurance covered glasses a year.

Last year, I told my optometrist I had an odd request... I wanted my reading prescription put into safety glasses. I thought he'd think I was crazy, but he brought out a whole bunch of frames for me to choose from that could be fitted with safety lenses and side guards.... I could take the guard set off, and they looked just like regular glasses when I did (albeit a bit big). They were marked z87 and everything.

I got the polycarbonate lenses, but he said he could do my prescription in glass if I wanted. Next time I will.

John

Back