I want to raise height of my lathe

waverly

Registered
Registered
I'm getting ready to start construction of my new shop. I'm 6'2" and would like to raise my lathe up 3"-4". If I have my concrete guy build up the floor 3-4 inches is that acceptable, or a waste of money. My plan is to pour the raised area at the same time as slab for the shop. I'm trying to alleviate bending over so much to see. My eyes are not what they used to be. For the record it is a Matthews 13x40GT and it's on the factory stand.

Thanks for any advice, input, etc.

Waverly

I know the feeling - same height and it feels like all the machines were designed for someone a foot shorter than me. I ended up putting a stool near each machine which I use during the long hunched-over setup operations.

Sounds like a good plan, with one small caveat: it may complicate getting the machine to its location (can't just use a bunch of rollers if the floor rises). Might want to stick rebar uprights in the corners, or even a rebar grid at the height of the rest of the floor. Somebody with more construction experience than me should advise though :)

I've been wanting to raise my larger lathe, its wide and find it hard on the back bending over to see in a bore. Planned on making heavy steel or preferably cast iron spacers. Wouldn't recommend pouring a raised pad, though it would work what if you change out lathes or decide to move it.

Greg

I recently raised my 13*something up 3-4" and don't regret it one bit. Not having to constantly lean over the lathe is a big plus. I didn't pour a new floor but the existing one was old, rough and out of level so I poured two rectangular slabs to match the lathe base and bolted the base down, then I leveled the bed with shims.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I would suggest a number of 4"x8"x16" concrete blocks from the DIY, strategically placed and bedded in mortar. They will provide solid support and can easilyt be removed if necessary in the future. I have also used concrete blocks set with mortar to make a perimeter and filled the interior with concrete. A fairly easy DIY project.

I’m the same height and I raised my PM1236 by about 5” by adding some simple supports made from 3x3 square tube and adjustable pads.
Just the right height now and I can rearrange the shop one day if need be.
18ED617F-4630-487E-AC26-438F27F3D8E9.jpeg
11FD6F35-108A-43DD-8418-7CF9BE98F1AD.jpeg
B8E012DC-8A51-44A7-8E55-2B57EC64A816.jpeg
CF629CA0-1C71-4321-98EC-234F1B5BB8E7.jpeg

Last edited:
On my 19" Regal, I raised it 4" using square tubing similar to the post above, but it did not have cabinet legs, only single feet at each end, I bolted them to the floor with a thickness of roofing felt under each bolting point, then shimmed for level/alignment on top, under each foot. I did 4" because I was using duck boards to stand on, 2 thicknesses if 1" finished lumber, so the actual raise was about 1 1/2", enough to avoid much stooping over for my 5'-9 1/2" height. Since I moved the lathe home after retireing, I removed the spacers since I now use rubber mats that are only about 1/2" thick.

If concrete were used and poured on top of cured concrete, it could be broken up rather easily later on, that being said, I think the square tube approach is the best one, as I earlier posted.

Back