I want to sell my mini mill

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
title says it...
I want a bigger mill. When I have a project come up, I hate being hindered somehow by not having the machinery capable enough to build it.
Recently I had to build some new legs for a stove. I had to go borrow a friends lathe to cut 6 tpi cause mine only goes to 8. Now, that's the lathe, I like my lathe. I think it's a good size for me. That one off chance I need to cut a thread coarser than my lathe can do, doesn't make me want a bigger lathe. However, the umpteen times I've struggled with the rigity and power of my mini mill has me stifled. I want a bigger one...

This brings me to my topic, what do the mini mills sell for used? I have no idea what to list it for to get a fair price to put toards a bigger one, but also not be out to lunch on price.
I'll give a decent break down.

Here's the mill - I'll take real pictures shortly.
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/milling-machine-mini-craftex-csa-cx605.html
Let's disregard the sale price for the time being...

I converted it into a belt drive with a locking pin to loosen the draw bar. I'd include the brass hammer/wrench I made.
home made power cross feed that works half decent.
I'll include the igaging dro.
I'd include the collets that came with it and some end mills and the various tools.

What would you folks pay for this? What's a fair price?

I had been looking at some First knee mills, Hartford mills, there's a Kent for a good price. Last two are turret mills. All around the 1500-1800 range.

IMG_20170917_212928.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20170917212933_COVER.jpg IMG_20170917_212938.jpg IMG_20170917_212945.jpg IMG_20170917_212950.jpg

It would be cleaned up, obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold a similar sized LMS mill on Craigslist when I moved up to a larger mill. You simply don't see a lot of small mills for sale so I received way more inquires than I expected. Mine sold within a couple days to the first person who came to see it. What it's value is depends on the age and condition obviously so it could be anywhere from 30-80% of the cost of a similar new one. I'd clean it up really good, take a couple pics and search the web for what others similar models/condition have sold for on ebay etc. Start a littler high on the price. Folks are going to make you an offer for less no matter what your price, so leave room to "make them a deal" and still get a fair price. Keep any tooling or accessories you will be able to use with your next mill.

Shawn, you may not like what I'm about to say but I'm only looking at this deal from the eyes of a buyer who is familiar with the current prices of these mills (and their lower price when they go on sale), a buyer is not going to pay you the same price as the new on sale price ,all the extras on yours are to tantalize the potential buyer and hopefully push them to buy now rather than wait for the sale to come about.
You know Princess auto sells them 4 times a year for $899.99,busy bee selles slightly higher at $999.99, you should be able to get $600 to $650 without any problem,if you are happy with $650, then ask for $750 or best reasonable offer.
That's what I would do if I were you.
Best of luck.

Shawn, I sold a Grizzly8689 mini mill last year it had all the same type mods (belt drive, igaging dro, x power feed, ect.) I sold it to cheap I think--sold it to the first caller and had people wanting to give me more if I would sell it to them---but I had told the first guy I would hold it until he looked at it. Sold it for $450. If I remember right, I bought it on sale for $589. Here is a picture of it.

mini.jpg

Shawn, I sold a Grizzly8689 mini mill last year it had all the same type mods (belt drive, igaging dro, x power feed, ect.) I sold it to cheap I think--sold it to the first caller and had people wanting to give me more if I would sell it to them---but I had told the first guy I would hold it until he looked at it. Sold it for $450. If I remember right, I bought it on sale for $589. Here is a picture of it.

View attachment 242056

I was just thinking of selling my X2D with a lot of mods similair to what you have done. This is good info.

View attachment 242056

I feel that is very cheap for these machines. Was that price new? These units are over a thousand new up here in Canada.

I feel that is very cheap for these machines. Was that price new? These units are over a thousand new up here in Canada.

It was bought new, they are selling new at Grizzly for $665 + shipping at this time.

Back