I wonder who made all the Taiwanese PM machines?

taiwanluthiers

Registered
Registered
I'm just curious all the made in Taiwan PM machines, what company made them? Is it the same company that made Victor lathes (for example), or different ones? AFAIK the companies I know of in Taiwan that makes machine tools don't seem to make manual machines anymore (I look on their site and none is listed), but all make CNC machines.

Here's a few that I know of... they made manual mills/lathes, but those are all made back in the 80s. They only make CNC now:

Besides all the politics of China versus Taiwan, I read somewhere that Taiwan is dealing with the same situation we are facing in the States. That of cheaper labor somewhere else, in this case China. They are not as advanced down this road as the U.S. but are making progress in that direction. I'm sure that some machines are still made in Taiwan. But just as Taiwan caught Japan's outsourcing long years ago, China now is catching that of Taiwan. And it appears that India is starting to catch some of China's low end production. This is not a hard and fast transition, of course. But things seem to be trending in that direction. Political "sabre rattling" will play a part here as well. Things could change literally in an hour.

My only thing is, companies like Grizzly and others keep it hush hush as though they're making UFO parts or parts for a nuclear missile. I tried to find out what companies in Taiwan makes machines for grizzly and hit a brick wall. Grizzly won't even ship any products to Taiwan no matter what. Even contacting these companies for purchase hits a brick wall too.

Based on the manual that came with my PM-1236T, mine was made by Liang Dei, same as the Eisen machines. A lot of companies do not sell at retail, so not surprised you have not had success purchasing directly, but I would have thought they at least would have referred you to a dealer in Taiwan where you could purchase one.

Based on the manual that came with my PM-1236T, mine was made by Liang Dei, same as the Eisen machines. A lot of companies do not sell at retail, so not surprised you have not had success purchasing directly, but I would have thought they at least would have referred you to a dealer in Taiwan where you could purchase one.
Machine tools aren't bad as there is big market for it in taiwan, but woodworking tools were a nightmare to buy. Basically all made for export only and no dealers in taiwan.

Shun Chuan Precision Machinery aka Sun Master makes the TL lathes for PM. They also make the LeBlond lathes, Southbend, some from Acra, Jet and Kent among others I'm sure.

Machine tools aren't bad as there is big market for it in taiwan, but woodworking tools were a nightmare to buy. Basically all made for export only and no dealers in taiwan.
That’s interesting, I would have thought Taiwan would be similar to Japan with some of the high end woodworking projects I have seen come from there, but I shouldn’t be surprised. I looked for woodworking tools and accessories when visiting my inlaws in Shanghai and couldn’t find anything better than DIY tools. I was told Chinese don’t do those kinds of hobbies, so it will be difficult to find that kind of stuff. I guess it’s the same in Taiwan. Did you need to import your woodworking tools?

Back