I would like to be able to use somebody wood lathe that has a chuck

Don't know what the goal is that the OP is after, if sanding smooth means just that or wanting to remove all those pits or casting voids. If the later, sanding alone is going to take forever to get all those pits out even under power. If those are indeed casting voids, machining to remove material is going to change the dimension of that part considerably if that matters and who knows if there will be more casting voids throughout the part if they are casting defects.

In the Antelope Valley California, or San Fernando Valley. I have a Baldor Buffer In my garage you are welcome to use to polish metal.

I have a metal part from a drill press that I need to sand smooth, I would bring my own sandpaper of course.

Could you not use that buffer to do the part?

Don't know what the goal is that the OP is after, if sanding smooth means just that or wanting to remove all those pits or casting voids. If the later, sanding alone is going to take forever to get all those pits out even under power. If those are indeed casting voids, machining to remove material is going to change the dimension of that part considerably if that matters and who knows if there will be more casting voids throughout the part if they are casting defects.
I agree, definitely some serious time would be involved in actually removing those pits by sanding, and the guy smoothing out the capstan end knew when to say when! My guess is it started out as a fairly rough sand casting, since the machined/ground end that goes into the head looks fine

Back