ice auger blades won't cut

Rcdizy

Registered
Registered
I had these ice knives professionally sharpened and all they do is spin now and will not cut more that a concave small bowl out of the ice.. I have a dull unsharpened one sitting on top for comparison. Some how Ive lost the relief out of the geometry?
45831728215_aaceecf841_b.jpg
46747196421_10d327c049_b.jpg
31805616167_4bf70d6646_b.jpg

I have the machine and fixtures to sharpen blades, and I do them for bait shops in the area. If you're talking about that little concave relief on the face of the really dull blade, that's automatically put in by the wheel, and the bigger the wheel, the less you get. I also never put the chip breakers back into them once they're sharpened. If the bottom of the blade has been touched, ground, honed, stoned, and anything I may have missed (the side with the writing on them) you can throw them away.

Last edited:
I have the machine and fixtures to sharpen blades, and I do them for bait shops in the area. If you're talking about that little concave relief on the face of the really dull blade, that's automatically put in by the wheel, and the bigger the wheel, the less you get. I also never put the chip breakers back into them once they're sharpened. If the bottom of the blade has been touched, ground, honed, stoned, and anything I may have missed (the side with the writing on them) you can throw them away.

So what is wrong with Rcdizy's? From the pics, I'm not seeing anything that would make his not cut.

The rhombus angle is incorrect, in order to bore through ice this angle must be less then 7.1325 Degrees, 7.1310 degrees will cause all manner of problems.

While hundreds of years of ice drilling has proven that 7.1310 degree angles will work a tool rhombus angle of 7.1325 degrees is far more effecient.

Silly me, I was thinking they used a metric blade sharpener.

I'll try to remember to check the angles on my Jiffy auger. But its so old, it was likely last sharpened before Mr Rhombus got into the ice drill business.

Just kidding. But I would have thought the rake, and relief angles would be whats important, and from the pics, they look like they should cut something. I have never used my jiffy (came free with a bunch of other stuff), I want to take a look at it tomorrow.

Thanks. :eagerness:

It doesn't take much of anything to make an ice blade junk. A few years back Strikemaster was using Chinese blades instead of the Swedish blades they were using. Those were junk right off the pile. I have no clue what a rhombus angle is, and apparently the good people that make the machine don't think it's a big deal, or they would have calibrated the fixtures, and they've been making this machine for 30 years. I've been sharpening blades for 5 years now and I've never had one come back because it didn't cut well. I have to follow the angle that is there to begin with, and if that was screwed up from the start, you're just multiplying the screw up. I can't see what's going on with that blade because I don't have it in front of me. It may have been altered, maybe they were ground by hand, or it just may be that too much has been ground. You can't see what's going on down that hole. You need to complain to the guy that sharpened them for you, because you're not going to sharpen them by yourself. Now I'm heading out to walk on the water, hope they're biting.

I have a magnum 3 that I have had for years and it still cuts great I sharpen the bade with my belt and disc combo and use the belt last year I had a problem with mine cutting and I sharpened it a second time, I have a lake just a couple of miles down the road so I went to test it and it would only cut a dish in the ice like yours unless I put all my weight in it and force it to cut so looking at the blade end I found the center point that I thought was there to keep the auger from walking around had an edge on it that was very dull I used my hand grinder and sharpened it and then went to the lake and it cut like it was new. Check your point in the center of your auger.

Interesting read, I wouldn't have thought that there was that much detail to sharpening them.
Then there is the bit about cold, ice, wind, snow..... Testing sounds like a pain.

It was a joke on my part.
A rhombus is a geometric shape with 4 sides of equal length yet unequal angles.
You had me. If you would have left off a few decimal points, You may have had me better. I did spend some time trying to visualize how a rhombus would apply to the side profile of the blade. I waited to take a look at my old Jiffy, but it does not even have removable blades.

So Now I'm back to wondering how Rcdizzy's blades were sharpened wrong. Inquiring minds want to know.

looking at the blade end I found the center point that I thought was there to keep the auger from walking around had an edge on it that was very dull I used my hand grinder and sharpened it and then went to the lake and it cut like it was new. Check your point in the center of your auger.

I think you are on to something there. To me, it looks like there will be a bunch of ice uncut in the center. Looking through the internet, it looks like most of Moras do not have the center point.

Back