Ice Ball Press

Type of water makes little difference. The trick is how the water is frozen. Clear ice occurs when water is frozen from one direction, and not from all around it's periphery.

Okay! So how do you freeze water in One Direction? Obviously a directional freezer? Wait I just realized... Did you mean the band One Direction?

You can also make clear ice by repetitive freeze-thaw cycles which drive entrained gases out of the water, leaving clear ice.

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Reactions: rwm
Ever notice that lake ice is usually clear? That's because it freezes from the top down.
Try using an insulated coffee mug. Insulate all sides and the bottom to so the cold can only come from the top. It takes more time to freeze, but it will be clear. Don't take my word for it, google it.......yes, there is a youtube video.:encourage:

Thanks Derf! I will try it. I tried distilled water, boiled water, and water that was frozen an thawed and refrozen. Not much of an impact from any of those.
R

Last edited:
Derf is correct! I used two (double layer) styrofoam coffee cups so the ice would freeze from the top down. I got the most clear ice yet. Good call.
R

Back