ID brass fittings help needed

"Don't have the joint sealing capacity of compression fittings" ????? why then is it that flare fittings are used extensively in refrigeration systems and compression fittings are not? Refrigerants are notorious for finding places to leak from.

I don't believe compression fittings are legal in hvac. Certainly not in gas piping. Flare on the other hand is legal in gas piping. Compression connections are notorious for leaking, therefore illegal in gas piping.

"Don't have the joint sealing capacity of compression fittings" ????? why then is it that flare fittings are used extensively in refrigeration systems and compression fittings are not? Refrigerants are notorious for finding places to leak from.
I cannot rely on any statistics or studies of various types of fittings. I only rely on my experiences in a steel mill, on the continuous caster where steel was poured into a mold where it froze as it ran down at around 2000 F. Flare fittings were forbidden, only compression fittings were allowed. Flammable gasses and fluids were handled, as well as inert gasses and water. Water leaks around molten metal are avoided at all costs although water sprays were used to cool the metal. Water levels in the "scale pits" were determined with a bubbler system where back pressure of the nitrogen was directly related to water level. Water lines up to 1-1/2 inch were fitted with compression fittings as, again, flare fittings were forbidden even for repairs. It could well have been high level company political policy, I can't say. Only what I had to deal with as a repairman. Cost factors would not have been an issue, compression fittings cost more than flared.

Looks very much like a couple of bins I have of similar fittings accumulated over the years from unknown sources. I have spent many hours pawing through them looking for a specific piece. Every once in a while I find the one I need or can modify to suit, which justifies hanging on to all of it. Most recently it was this abomination. All done with stuff I had on hand.
View attachment 391746
Such is my life.
wow, look a the size of that cylinder... that's a big guy.

Underground poly gas pipe you can use compression fittings but not above ground I believe.

Off-topic, but I haven't been able to figure out what these are. I've "inherited" a large assortment of these brass fittings, but I don't know where they are useful or who uses them. Many of them have 1/8 pipe and 1/4 pipe threads. Others have straight threads. I'd appreciate any pointers.

View attachment 391739
Thanks to all who responded, and contributed to my education. ---Joe

Back