ID wires on a 3Phase motor.

It is from "installation and maintenance of electric motors" published by Brook Motors of Huddersfield UK. it is a pocket book distributed free to the electrical trade (or it was, Mine is fifteenth reprint 1971) and it is a mine of usefull info. Known in the trade as the "Brooks book" I don't think they publish them any more, but you could email and ask csc@brookcrompton.com
Try ABE booksearch or car boots etc. Really worth having, and has spent all it's life in my AVO 8 case!
Phil

I'm not sure if the guy at the shop was trying to drum up extra business but he wanted to replace the bearings. While running, however, the motor was smooth and quiet so I'll "let it ride" for a while until it gets loud before I do the bearings.

just an fyi, you can easily replace your own motor bearings. three phase motors are simple in design , the bearings are easily available on ebay or from local bearing houses. Part of my business is rebuilding 3 phase motors and constructing RPC units.
If you need assistance when the time comes, i'd be happy to assist. i probably have the bearings in stock.
good luck!
mike :))

Not sure if this is legitimate post here but I'll give it a try and Tony can delete it if it violates a rule.

Google '9 wire 3 phase motor wiring' and look at the results, There is a thread on another machinist site with a title that matches the Google search criteria exactly. Look at post #10 on that thread.

They did not have a diagram in that thread so here is one that may help.

Based on the description, I suspect this is one of those cases where an analog volt meter would be much preferred over a digital volt meter to see the 'kick' as the voltage is induced in the coils. Note that the 'kick' is created when the coil is initially connected to the battery. Current flows thru the coil and generates an expanding magnetic field which induces current flow in some of the other coils. Once the current flow from the batter stabilizes in the powered coil the magnetic field stabilizes and the induced current flow in the other coils drops to zero. Hence the 'kick' in the analog meter as it quickly goes from zero to some value and then drops back to zero again. It might be difficult to see the 'kick' on a digital meter as it is a relatively short pulse.

When the battery connection is opened the stable magnetic field collapses and generates another induced 'kick' in the other coils ... just like the ignition coil on a gas engine when the points open.

Arvid

Back