Ideas for easy and cheap chip guard for mill ?

Cr2348455

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone ,
I own a Grizzly 0755 mill. Any ideas for a quick and easy chip guard to limit flying chips to a smaller area.
I stay away from steel because of those HOT chips
we all love. LOL
THANKS, F1520930-D22B-4F14-9D33-41284CDCB4ED.jpegF9F6A434-50B7-424A-986F-4CBB62A1E094.jpeg

I use rare earth magnets to hold a couple of pieces of 8" square 1/8" acrylic onto the back and front of the vise. Works pretty well.

I have worked on machines in big plants that use pieces of cardboard as chip guards. I am not necessarily condoning that, I would def go with something not as flammable, like @DavidR8 recommends.

Jon

Thanks Jon
I usually mill aluminum, that may work on the x
axis. I found a small chip guard out of acrylic or lexan. I just need to rig it up to the mill.

I have used a cardboard box, just cut out the bottom to allow it to clear the vice and any hold downs and make sure that the height won't interfere with the operation and go to town. A shop vac makes for easy cleanup before removal. When I am done, I just through the box away.

I have tried to rig up more permanent setups but too often they work fine for a few setups and not for the majority of them. But at the time, I was doing a lot of repair job work and some one off fabrications which made it difficult to use them. I eventually just would take a piece of cardboard and tap it so it didn't through the chips at me and call it good.

I think I'm just getting use to having chips everywhere. Not really.
It drives me nuts. I like the plastic with the magnets idea, as long as the magnets are up out of the way. magnets can be a real PITA
I was thinking about some rubber material to snug up against the side of the mill vise and lay out across the table and surrounding apparatus.
Like a truck inter tube maybe. Heavy enough to hold and easy to pick up and dump in the can.

I have used a cardboard box, just cut out the bottom to allow it to clear the vice and any hold downs and make sure that the height won't interfere with the operation and go to town. A shop vac makes for easy cleanup before removal. When I am done, I just through the box away.

I have tried to rig up more permanent setups but too often they work fine for a few setups and not for the majority of them. But at the time, I was doing a lot of repair job work and some one off fabrications which made it difficult to use them. I eventually just would take a piece of cardboard and tap it so it didn't through the chips at me and call it good.
Thank you Charlie !
I am not getting your last line ?

Got tired of cutting a box to fit around the work piece. So eventually, would just take a small piece of flat cardboard and tape it to the mill bed so it created a shield to keep the chips from hitting me when I was down close for fine work. Let the chip fly where they will otherwise.

Back