Ideas for Scroungers

I feel sorry for you guys whose local junk yards don't sell to the public. It must be that way in New York City. I was down on Canal street,where there are several small shops that specialize in just 1 thing. Plastics in one,metal in another. There was a roughly sawn block of brass in the window of 1 shop. About a 2" cube. They wanted $12.00 for it!! And,this was back in the early 80's,when I could buy brass for $1.00 a pound at the junk yard. I still have hundreds of pounds of brass bars and sheets bought back then.

I went into a used machine tool place. I was cleanly dressed in a white shirt and slacks,being on a business trip with some Williamsburg executives. I had hundreds of dollars on me,and was ignored. Another guy who nearly looked homeless came in and got plenty of attention.

After looking at the phony scrape marks on an ancient ,large South Bend lathe,I lost interest in the place anyway.

How do you know the dot matrix or ink jet rods are DRILL ROD(hardenable tool steel) or do you mean they are just good mild steel shafting? Same for the strut rods?

Yeah, i also object to people calling scrounge materials Drill Rod. Steel shafting is how I would categorize it.

lawlessman, sounds good info

would be nice if someone posted their projects made from scrap. I think someone showed a spot welder they made entirely from a microwave

would be nice if someone posted their projects made from scrap. I think someone showed a spot welder they made entirely from a microwave

find the site "king of random" dot com........ he pretty much makes a"silk purse from a sows ear"

People have been killed taking microwaves apart. They have dangerous capacitors.

Wow George- I had no idea microwave capacitors were so dangerous..

Bernie

Cast iron weight, the kind that hang on the front of a farm tractor are machinable and are descent quality. (Some imported bar bell weights are poor quality metal.)
The 2 x 2 square bars used on the farm plows are good quality steel (tough but machinable).
Farm tractor and heavy truck axles make good mill arbors.
Small springs from appliances, power tools, fold out bed frames, garage door openers, lawn mowers, etc. You seem to always need a spring for something.
Small balls from old ball bearing should be saved. In case you lose the ball from a detent assembly or if you need to make one.
The outer and inner race from ball bearings make good spacers. Just don't hammer on them.
Treadmill belts (the walking belt) make good way covers for milling machine.
I built a cart for my welder for a tread mill frame and the tread mill safety rails. (note: thin wall, tough to weld).
Microwave ovens has a lot of usable parts (motors, fans, transformers, etc.)
Indicator lights from house hold appliances.
Old corded hand drills ( for drive motors)
Washing machines, Clothes dryers, dishwashers have allot of reusable parts and materials. Fans, pumps, motors, switches, gearboxes, nichrome wire, thin sheetmetal, etc.
If you are into casting brass, look for brass valves and plumbing fittings. The material quality is better than some of the brass ornamental stuff.
The dumpster behind repair shops sometimes have usable metal parts. (probably should ask permission first)

mhooper

Boy I'm first degree guilty, If I dont come back without something in the pick up. Yesterday it was two rear new brake drums and for what?
I dont know. And some kind of grinder belt drive with some kind of indexer, supose to be for sharping reel type mowers free of course.
From my buddie, owns a junk yard, unreal whats in car trunks, he dont want it & gives it to me.
SCORE of the week; a model T Ford script oil can. oh baby Christmas present from him......

I would love to show you pix of some of the things we made around my shop from scrounged stuff, but all of it is long gone. I thought I'd share a story of a "scrounge gone wrong" for a little morning laugh. Back in the mid-80's, my wife and my mother saved and scrimped to buy a swimming pool that came in a box. We set it up and filled it ourselves. In order to fill it, we pumped water out of a small pond. The water in the pond came from springs and "seepage" and was "bloody cold". We used a utility pump to pump the water into an empty 300 gallon oil tank set up on blocks on top of a utility trailer so it would be high enough to siphon into the pool. The more we filled the pool, the more full the oil tank had to be to make the siphon work. Being in the northeast, our swimming season is short enough as it is, so my Dad came up with an idea to heat the water. Back in the day, the local scrapyard would let you wander around and salvage stuff and then they'd sell it to you cheap. So, we went there and found a huge old water heater - must have been 50 gallons at least. The outer shell and insulation was already gone, so we pretty much had the tank left, which we bought for all of $5.00 and took home. We had a supply of scrounged bricks that my Dad had saved to someday build a barbecue, so we built a supporting structure for the tank that had the outlet end elevated about a foot above the inlet end. We ran some salvaged iron pipe from both fittings a couple feet, then connected flexible pool hose. The plan was to take water out of the pool from an adjustable diverter after the pump, run it through the wood fired heater and feed it back to the pool to the fisheye. Sounds reasonable, right? Imagine, spending all your spare time in the spring cutting and splitting and stacking wood (we used smaller wood that was too small to be of use in our wood burning furnaces), then spending time that you could be in the pool, building and tending a wood fire to heat the water for the pool that you don't have time to swim in because you are tending the )&(%*&%$^*%#$^% fire. Then add in hauling away ashes and constantly repairing the brickwork, which Dad conveniently left un-mortered, so they could be re-used, don't you know, plus the huge amount of heat the fire threw off and the smoke and..... well, I think you get the picture. The final determination was that for every 12 hours we kept a hot fire going under the boiler, we raised the pool temperature about 1 degree. A hot sunny day could raise the pool temp 3-4 degrees, so we finally threw in the towel, and the shovel, the axe and the hoe and took the tank back to the scrapyard where it belonged in the first place. A few years later, we salvaged some black plastic pipe which we laid in overlapping loops on the roof of a garage and used a salvaged pool pump to circulate pool water thru the pipe to actually heat the pool water with sunlight and heat reflected off the roof. It worked a lot better than the tank heater and didn't require a fire in July.
Footnote, the pile of bricks that my Dad had cared for so much sat in the exact same spot for 20 years and the brick barbecue never got built. I guess he never found the right pieces for it, 'cause he hated to buy stuff new.
Another footnote - when it came time to fill our pool, we had heard that some places hauled water to fill pools. We called around only to find that a enough truckloads of river water to fill our pool would cost more than we had paid for the pool itself. The funniest reply we got was from one place we called - when we told them we'd like to get water to fill our pool, they asked "You want that delivered?" And they were serious.

Last edited:
Back