Identification Requested

Brian Hutchings

Registered
Registered
Many years ago I bought this gun with the intention of practising stock making, because the stock is a scrapper. Some details of the gun made me try to find out what it is; it appears to have been a military weapon that has been turned into a shotgun and the stock seems to have started life with a side lock.
It has been stuck away in my garage for years and I could never find out much about it so I am wondering if any of you kind and knowledable people can help.
Brian
P1180204.JPGP1180205.JPGP1180206.JPG

P1180207.JPG

P1180208.JPG

It kind of looks like one of the Gras rifles that was converted. Not 100%, but maybe that'll give you something to start with.

Not much to go on there, full length picture and both sides under lights . There has to be at least two dozen rifles it could be.

Point Taken (& also some more pictures) The overall length is 48" inches.
I'm very grateful for any help.
Brian
P1180211.JPGP1180210.JPG
P1180212.JPG
P1180214.JPG
P1180215.JPG

Steyr..looks like same action as one posted here in 2015..

Looks like a converted 30-40 Krag used up to the start of ww1 when the 30-06 03A3 bolt action took over. Teddy Roosevelt had these on San Juan . Lots of parts hacked off , the trigger even looks semi butchered.

It is definitely one of those European military rifle conversions.

Thanks to mace2364 for the suggestion that it might be a Gras. I had a look and the bolt handle turns down the same as the cavalry carbine but the receiver shape is different.
I believe that the proof mark is Belgian but that is probably converted in Belgium. The bore is a shade under 0.750".
I'm not intending to attempt to restore it apart from making a new stock but I'll simply use the old one as a pattern, still, it would be nice to know what is was.
Brian

There were a number of European military rifles from that era(1870s-1880s), and from what I've been able to ascertain these sorts of conversions were fairly common with them. I'd bet that if you start looking at all of those designs, you'll figure out exactly what you have there. I'll do some more digging later.

Back