Identify This 10EE With Only A Picture Game

I am getting ready to rent a Penske truck for a 2K mile trip in a couple months. Will rent a fork truck to unload, have my own here.
Wise.
The biggest risk you have with that is probably the quality of the seat and the risk of some subtle pull on the steering that leaves your neck sore at day's end!

Read through your threads.
Will be interested to see what's powering the one I purchased.
Your's is good reference for conversion.
Will be tempted to simplify and take the same path.

Thanks for sharing - and good luck with the move.
-CM

I think an inverter duty motor and VFD is a very useful upgrade/conversion for just about any 10EE. While it is hard to beat the DC motor for low end torque and overall speed range, the reality is they have way more power than any similar sized lathe, i.e. more power than is normally useful.

Heard again from the seller today.
Surprised me with: "it does not include a taper attachment"
Bit out of left field - since the add title read: "10EE with taper attachment".
Offered to deal on price.
Will wait and see what that means.

I'm sure that would be enough for many to walk - which I may do.
But for now - would prefer to understand what level of unobtainable that may represent.
Have also asked for clarity on exactly what IS included in the sale.
Seems like a reasonable questions at this point.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-CM

I have seen exactly one taper attachment for a 10EE on ebay over the years. $2K and i bet they got it. Of course, i had to go $1200 for a taper attachment on my Leblond servo shift. AND I watched two years to get that.

Yep buy with attachment if you possibly can.

As you stated, it is in the title, it is included in the sale. Since he does not state what is not included in the listing, I would have assumed what is in the picture is included with the lathe, lathe chuck, holders, tooling, drill chuck. Agree you need to define what is included, and lack of description and what is included, along with lack of communication would have made me walk unless it was in local driving distance. I would also want to verify in advance and when you get there that it is running. I would also leave negative feedback if he back out or reneges on the listing.

If you do not mind a complete rebuild, then you assume it is as is and will need a lot of work. Too many things are red flags in the listing, and having levers held in place with wire indicates it is going to take quite a bit of work, funds and time to repair. The rectifier diode tubes are pretty unobtainable and cost more than the lathe if you could find them, there are solid state replacements. Alternative is completer replacement AC vector motor drives with a VFD, a significant cost and time.

Last edited:
Good friend of many years has a ee. All accessories. 2-3 extra chucks. Steady rest. Collet chuck. Qctp. Made in 1944. Runs quite. Fast and slow. How much should I maybe offer. Don’t mean to piggy back

Attachments

• 039C9A4C-D3CD-49BA-A42D-9848948639B2.jpeg
    039C9A4C-D3CD-49BA-A42D-9848948639B2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 05D99CD7-985B-4E65-99F4-777AB962DD8A.jpeg
    05D99CD7-985B-4E65-99F4-777AB962DD8A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Lordbeezer - feel free. Looks like a nice lathe. I'm jealous.
If you pass on it - please PM me.
:)

Mksj - thanks.
You captured my thinking fairly well - I gave the understated version...
No one that has ever operated a lathe - even someone with my exceptionally narrow experience - would list a lathe and title it "10EE with taper attachment", if there was no taper attachment.
It's also been 5 days since I bought it - with multiple communications - and plenty of time.
This is the first time that was mentioned that it didnt exist.

Did it ever exist?
Did he decide to sell it off after I bought the machine?
Doesn't really matter which.
Either way - it's not ok.

My experience - people who are going to screw you - are going to screw you.
Nothing you can do about that.
I'm moving cautiously on this one.
Much appreciated.
-CM

Last edited:
The taper attachment interacts with the cross feed so you can't just pull the taper attachment off one lathe and ship it to someone as an add on to a non-taper attachment lathe. You'd have to change out cross feed parts too, from one lathe to the other, or you'd end up with one lathe or the other non-functional. Just mentioning this so you know to check in detail what's left.

I could see some confusion if, for example, someone is selling out a relative's estate. But without a clear sense of what is going on, I'd be nervous too.

Thanks Rabler. Wasn't aware.
Helpful - and likely means that machine is not destine to have a taper attachment.

A few unexpected moments this weekend.
I have a line on a second 10EE.
It's in service and looks to be a work horse in good overall shape.
It's not close - but others are helping me.
Will size up moving costs - they won't be insignificant - when the work week starts.

That machine has the taper attachment, and some solid tooling.
It has some form of power conversion - though I am not completely clear how they did it.
It was originally one of the machines with the generator.
I was told it would also do 1750 RPM - and that it somehow was using the original motor and a "bridge" and the "original motor"
If this is enough information for anyone to take a stab at explaining - I'd welcome it
Still drinking water from a fire hydrant on these.

Back