Identify This 10EE With Only A Picture Game

sounds like they have done some sort of DC drive replacement. There are many versions. Spend a day reading over on Practical machinist.

As you are learning buy the machine with everything you need and as much tooling as possible. Shipping is cheap compared to trying to source parts.

IMHO, sooner or later the DC drive on these very old machines needs to be replaced. Upgrade it to 3 phase VFD and it will run another 50 years.

It may also might mean that they are using a 1750 RPM 3 phase motor and the bridge might be the front end of the original motor to the gearbox. Worth getting the details and some pictures. The challenge going the VFD route is either using a smaller motor (like 5 Hp) and mating that to the gear reduction box, or like Karl did and stuff a 10 Hp vector motor in a direct drive configuration. You need a big VFD and a big breaker to run it. You need to factor that into the budget vs. a functional running unit.

As far as taper attachments, they are nice to have, but speak to most people that have them and they will probably tell you they use them just a few times in many years.

Thanks mksj.
As far as taper attachments, they are nice to have, but speak to most people that have them and they will probably tell you they use them just a few times in many years.
Appreciate that point. Have heard similar from others - but of course, we all like to have the accouterments...
Karl did and stuff a 10 Hp vector motor in a direct drive configuration. You need a big VFD and a big breaker to run it. You need to factor that into the budget vs. a functional running unit.
Of the various solutions/configs I've read about - this one seems to go right at the heart in simple/reliable terms. If I was holding a non running machine - I would probably opt for this approach - and it may be where I end up eventually.
It may also might mean that they are using a 1750 RPM 3 phase motor and the bridge might be the front end of the original motor to the gearbox.
My understanding is, it's using the original DC motor with a bridge rectifier. I think they've bypassed the generator with this set up - but still have it.
The machine is used regularly in this config - and works well - though it may not be as fancy as some solutions I've read about. The 1750 RPM may be limited by the bridge rectifier and some inherent limitations that come with it - best I can decipher.

At the end of the day - this will go in my garage - and be used for projects related mostly to my Vespa. For my use - it may be all I need as is. Can't wait to find out.

A lot of aftermarket DC drives don't accommodate the voltage that the 10EE DC motors were meant to run on, so that is a likely reason for the RPM limitation.

A lot of aftermarket DC drives don't accommodate the voltage that the 10EE DC motors were meant to run on, so that is a likely reason for the RPM limitation.
Have been doing my research.
Have a better sense of the many solutions that exist out there - and the limitation of many drives to a lower voltage than the motors are rated for.
That is my expectation - it being a drive that will not provide full voltage.
There is also the issue - I have learned - of needing a drive that knows when to reduce the field voltage to allow it to spin faster.
Working on a few pictures to figure out what is in the tail end and under the main catch tray (front doors and tail stock end doors cabinets).

Either way - it's not make or break.
The process of trying to understand what is in this machine is getting me educated on all the variables/options/gives/takes that exist with the retrofit solutions.

Thanks for weighing in.
More to come!

The process of trying to understand what is in this machine is getting me educated on all the variables/options/gives/takes that exist with the retrofit solutions.

Thanks for weighing in.
More to come!
You have to be an EE (electrical engineer) to understand the 10EE!

Any news on the 10EE pursuits?

Rabler - thanks for checking in.
Was just about to post - having buttoned up my existing project.
More about that in a minute.

As for the 10EE(s) I am pursuing.
After a very strange start - where I bought one blind on ebay - the seller eventually contacted me.
Turned out - he is just old school - not very computer literate - 85 years old - and out of town.
So the patience paid off.

That lathe - which you helped initially try to identify - turned out to be a 1961 square dial.
It has some use on it - but there are two reasons I didn't bail out.
1. It had a tag on it that said "remanufactured by" and listed the company - they have been doing work for a long time here in LA.
2. It also turned out to have a Sabina controller on it - that part was a shock.
It runs and drives remarkably. Man it's smooth. Original knobs control it. Full breaking. Full RPM. Torquey low end speed.
( it uses a rotary 3 phase converter - which I am less sure about ).
The seller came down on price - after I bought it! - so I couldn't really say no.
More to follow on that one.

The other one I am pursuing is a round dial - apple of my eye.
I am trying to get the low down on how it is powered - it is single phase 220.
I am pondering the swap of the Sabina drive in the older round dial - but I will wait to make that determination.
The round dial is a '44ish and its a hike to get it here.
I've been flipping stones left and right to try and solve for the shipping.
Have some travel in about 10 days - and plan to go disassemble what I can - and palletize on two pallets for the shipping.
Getting some help from a member here - that has been a star.

So about that existing project I mentioned up front.
Never actually owned a lathe until 8 weeks ago - but have wanted one.
Wasn't really aware of the 10EE - in all its beauty and precision.
Perhaps if I had - I would have been on the hunt and waited.
But in rebuilding this Logan (below), I got to better understand the machines in general.
And about half way through - as everything was strewn around my garage on every surface - and I wondered if it would ever be back together - I realized - what I really want is a 10EE...

So... the Logan will go to a happy home somewhere.
New bushings, adjusted nicely, cleaned and painted, running quite well.
And tomorrow - I will drag home the first 10EE - the square dial with Sabina controls.
IMG_3658.JPGIMG_3666.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3686.JPG
    IMG_3686.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
So - I am the proud owner of a 1960 10EE.
Met the seller for the first time.
Seller turned out to be a great guy.
85 years old, has had this in his garage since 1977ish.
Gave me a hand as I prepped it - and then he and his wife insisted I come inside and join them for dinner before I left.

The loading was grueling - big job for one guy.
I fabricated some parts that made it much better - but blocking it prior - and then once loaded - was some work.
Of course - all the tooling and raw stock he gave me also added to the labor.

I rented a narrow long heavy duty pallet jack - that I didn't end up using at all.
Lifting and moving that was half the hassle!

I tabbed a rolling stand using some U channel and parts from some casters I had.
These are the axles - which held up great.
IMG_3696.JPG

I had measured the holes on my scouting trip. To avoid wrestling with it - I milled a slot for one of them*.
* This is the first item I have ever milled. Hahaha - I crack me up sometimes. Babe in the woods...IMG_3704.JPG
I used a pry bar and stacked blocks to get it up heigh enough to mount. Then bolted on the wheel frame.
The front wheel is a plate caster - but I added a stem on it. This way - the machine sat flat on the plate - but the stem with bolt kept it from moving around.
IMG_3729 2.JPG

Once the wheels were on - I was able to just roll it around. The only thing I was really concerned about was it running away once I started loading on the trailer - so I put a Saftey strap on the back side and tied it to a mill he had in the garage.
IMG_3731 2.JPG

I tried to buy a come along - but they were out of stock. Some kinda run on come alongs I guess.
I had this remote control power winch - so I ended up using it. I have it on an extending square tube - so it locks in on the (rented) truck bed's tied downs - and then I can just remove it.

IMG_3740.JPG

Pulled right on - with no drama. This was actually the easiest part. Chaining down with those heavy chains and tensioners whipped my ass tho.
IMG_3732.JPG
Seller then offered me any and all raw stock he had - which included some delrin rods, brass, aluminum and steel - so I grabbed it!
IMG_3739 2.JPG

Buttoned up and ready to roll.
IMG_3741.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3738.JPG
    IMG_3738.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3733.JPG
    IMG_3733.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3726 2.JPG
    IMG_3726 2.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
Cool! I was beginning to wonder if there really was going to be a lathe at the end of the story or not! ;)
Good on you for persevering, nice machine.

Back