Identifying Reamers

mirage100

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I got a bunch of reamers That I don't know what type of material I can use them on. They all have # and letters on them but I can't seem to find any info on them. How do I identify these reamers. I need a reamer for a 1/4 inch hole in a harden 20mm rod . Thanks as always

for hardened material, you may need carbide

HSS reamers can be used on most materials that are NOT hardened.
letters and numbers are the corresponding sizes for clearance of fractional bores

you'll need a .250" CARBIDE reamer for your project

1601335726866.png

Thanks for the info but I am trying to figure out if I have any carbide reamers. Will the reamer say it is made of carbide? Or are the # on it that translate into what the reamer is. I guess I will buy a carbide reamer and mark it so I know what it is.

If you have a piece of tool steel and a piece of carbide of the same size, the carbide will be a LOT heavier. Try it with a couple of endmills, if you have some in both materials. If you can't tell the difference, they are both probably tool steel.

Thanks for the info but I am trying to figure out if I have any carbide reamers. Will the reamer say it is made of carbide? Or are the # on it that translate into what the reamer is. I guess I will buy a carbide reamer and mark it so I know what it is.
Along with the weight and heft @Hawkeye and the scratch test @NC Rick mentions, sometimes the carbide will be a darker, more matte colored gray.

What are you trying to machine?
I'll dig through my stash today and see what I might have.
The last auction, has a bunch of carbide in it and I haven't even finished sorting through it all.
0929201212.jpg
Carbide is on the right Left*...

Edit - reason: Late night with a laptop repair and lack of coffee before posting... And perhaps a problem knowing left from right...

Last edited:
Along with the weight and heft @Hawkeye and the scratch test @NC Rick mentions, sometimes the carbide will be a darker, more matte colored gray.

What are you trying to machine?
I'll dig through my stash today and see what I might have.
The last auction, has a bunch of carbide in it and I haven't even finished sorting through it all.
View attachment 338704
Carbide is on the right...
Left?

Is hardened rod through-hard or surface only? Makes a big difference.
There are other forms of carbide reamers too; solid of course while larger sizes are often cemented, just like brazed tool bits. Comparatively economical and lessens tendency of solid going where they want, instead of your ideal position. Solid carbide reamer needs all alignments correct, including tram of head to table......

Back