Identity of mill

Snowgoose

Registered
Registered
Has been restoring this milling machine for some time now, but dont know the brand, name, model, year or anything.

Anyone have an idea.

Regards. Henrik20170414_172630.jpg

Hello Henrik!

I see you have few posts and joined in December, so Welcome to the group!

That is an interesting machine you have, thanks for the picture.
I assume that's all new paint that you put on.
Do you have any "before" pictures you can share?

Do you have all the parts? Is there a jack/base under the vertical screw lift for the knee? Or does that bracket under the knee support the entire knee?

Also, it is difficult to know the scale of that mill (Is it a floor or bench model?), can you give us some basic dimensions, like the table size, over-arm diameter, and total height? That might make identification easier.
Does it have a tapered spindle? if so what is the taper?

I will browse around over at:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/
to see if I stumble across anything identical or even similar.

Good Luck!

-brino

Hello Henrik!

I see you have few posts and joined in December, so Welcome to the group!

That is an interesting machine you have, thanks for the picture.
I assume that's all new paint that you put on.
Do you have any "before" pictures you can share?

It is new paint, it had a bad darkgreen hammerite paint. The only before picture i have of the machine, is from when i picked it up and it were in pieces on a trailer.

Do you have all the parts? Is there a jack/base under the vertical screw lift for the knee? Or does that bracket under the knee support the entire knee?

No i dont have all the parts i need a gear in the table, but the machine can be used without it. the bracket and the screw is the only thing supporting the knee, the hole in the base i think is made later to get the knee a bit lower.

Also, it is difficult to know the scale of that mill (Is it a floor or bench model?), can you give us some basic dimensions, like the table size, over-arm diameter, and total height? That might make identification easier.
Does it have a tapered spindle? if so what is the taper?

Will take some meassurements and post them here along with some more detailed pictures. But it is a floor model and it has a tapered spindle could be morse 3 or 4 but not sure will meassure that. The plate around the spindel is a later made attachment for a vertical head. which i do have.

I will browse around over at:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/
to see if I stumble across anything identical or even similar.

Have been looking there, found a couple that looked similar, but not really the same.

Good Luck!

-brino

Last edited:
Uglydog - Close, but the Burke #4 is a tabletop unit - I used to own one. nice machine, but lots smaller. The taper on Henrik's machine is likely a B&S (Brown and Sharpe) - my horizontal was a B&S #9, and 7s were not uncommon either.

The elevation mechanism matches that in the picture that Charles Spencer posted. The table is a little different, but that don't mean anything other than it may be the next size bigger or changes made to the mill from year to year and companies did that too. Looks like some one has modified the spindle arrangement. Maybe modified for Timken bearings? Definitely changed the pulley to using vee belts instead of flat belt. I believe Charles nailed it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your replys. it seems like around those years these machines looks similar. Could be a Danish version of another brand. Have taken some more pictures. will meassure the taper next time i'm there.

one picture shows the missing gear, well the part of the leadscrew where the gear is missing.

The long vertical frame will hold the motor.

The later attached vertical head is an Italian Argus.

Sometime ago i found a picture on german website with a machine that looks the part, i have mailed them but have not yet got a reply. this is a picture from their site.
fraesealt.jpg

20170419_135347.jpg

20170419_135434.jpg

20170419_135540.jpg

20170419_140159.jpg

20170419_150540.jpg

20170419_150553.jpg

Last edited:
Back