If smoke, then there is Fire

Yes, it will be safe, The mag switch is doing the heavy lifting, the toggle switches are switching the coil in the mag switch. The coil draws maybe 1/10 amp or so, almost nothing relative to the rating of the switch.

If you were using a 240 Volt, 1.5 HP switch, and trying to run a 120V, 1.5 HP motor directly with it, then that would not be safe, because the current draw of the motor would be twice the current at 240V.

I may be a little off topic but I have seem one of the 4x6 saws get the blade jammed and kept running with the motor rubbing the belt until it's smoking and melting. It happened because the motor tensioner vibrated loose. I'm unsure if it would start a fire but it may be able to. It's another reason not to leave it cutting unattended.

I may be a little off topic but I have seem one of the 4x6 saws get the blade jammed and kept running with the motor rubbing the belt until it's smoking and melting. It happened because the motor tensioner vibrated loose. I'm unsure if it would start a fire but it may be able to. It's another reason not to leave it cutting unattended.

I saw this loose belt belt too and the belt or pulley will get hot enough to start a fire IF YOU touch one or the other with your skin as the fuel

Back